[News] Free Software Brings More Innovation

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Brings More Innovation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:06:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source: The New NPO Tech Battlefield

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software (OSS) is one avenue that could bring more innovation,
| and Ross believes the movement is starting to win. "When I say win, things
| that we've been pushing for have been happening in the non-open source
| software world," such as flexibility and customization, she said. "Customers
| are demanding more control over the tools they use."
`----

http://www.nptimes.com/07Nov/npt-071101-3.html

Related:

Shuttleworth at FOSSCamp: collaboration brings "brilliant flashes of
innovation"

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal of FOSSCamp, he says, is to get those involved with open source
| projects together to collaborate and share ideas.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/27/shuttleworth-at-fosscamp-collaboration-brings-brilliant-flashes-of-innovation

Fedora 8 renews tradition of innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| This release makes it obvious that the Fedora community prides itself on
| innovation.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119998

Innovation: The REAL Killer App

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
| years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
| Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
| perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
| development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
| The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
| this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
| with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
| a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
| product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
| but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
| platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
| is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
| over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
| market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
`----

http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/04/innovation-real-killer-app.html

Lessons to Learn from the OLPC

,----[ Gist ]