[News] Fixing a Broken Windows Vista, with Linux

  • Subject: [News] Fixing a Broken Windows Vista, with Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 03:14:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Diagnose and Repair an Unbootable XP or Vista PC

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're ready for a Windows alternative, try Puppy Linux, which you can
| download as a ready-to-burn .iso file from the Puppy Linux Web site. Boot
| from the CD, and you'll have a nongeek's version of Linux running on your PC.
| Puppy Linux is the best tool I've found for one extremely important job:
| copying important files off an unbootable hard drive. Unlike UBCD4Win, Puppy
| recognizes USB drives, making it extremely easy to put these files where you
| can readily access them.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139226-c,windowstips/article.html

Related:

Linux saves the special day!

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks Linux! You saved the day and turned a Windows disaster into a Linux
| win!
`----

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/?q=node/987

The Disconnect That Could Fail Thousands

,----[ Quote ]
| Knowing that this isn't right, I thumb thru the seventy or so Live CD disks I
| have and grab the one I know that gets this right...but wait. It only trails
| Ubuntu in the Distrowatch lineup by a few hundred hits...what about, oh, I
| don't know...let's try something obscure...let's go down the line a bit.
| Let's see who is well down the list there...It needs to be a debian distro,
| something that doesn't get too much publicity...Oh, let's try this.
|
| DreamLinux.
|
| Upon firing it up and doing an immediate install, imagine my surprise.
|
| Without so much as having to install KdiskFree or any other third party
| disk/file manager, whaddaya know...there are my drives and files. I then
| install KDE since DreamLinux is an Xfce environment by design. Yep, a click
| on the mnt file shows all my drives right there...
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/222-The-Disconnect-That-Could-Fail-Thousands.html

Why I love Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I have Vista and two distros of Linux (Ubuntu, Gentoo) in regular use -- and
| Vista, bless it, brutally murdered its XP predecessor during install, and so
| I had been forced to migrate sooner. And as it happens, the answer as to why
| Vista killed XP all those months ago was answered through this experience.
`----

http://www.apcmag.com/6598/why_i_love_linux

Trinity Rescue Kit - Free Recovery and Repair for Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.darknet.org.uk/2007/06/trinity-rescue-kit-free-recovery-and-repair-for-windows/