Re: how Microsoft sabotaged Java .. for fuddie :)

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 03 November 2007 20:09 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Doug Mentohl spake thusly:
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>>> This was not some deliberate attempt to sabotage Java.  Microsoft
>>> provided the means to do what Java needs to do, Sun has simply not
>>> done it.  Vista is not "broken" here.  Java is.
>>
>> "One strategy is to jump on the Java bandwagon and try and take control
>> of the class libraries and runtime"
>>
>> "As a company we have to options for embracing and extending Java: (1)
>> we tale control of it and add Windows specific classes, or (2) we
>> "sandbox" it, slow it down and restrict to a particular domain, betting
>> that we can bring our technology to bear quickly enough to minimize the
>> impact"
>>
>> http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_2403.pdf
>
> Don't confuse Ewik with facts.

He escaped the many forums threads the talked about the issue. This is far from
being the first time that Microsoft makes changes without informing
third-party developers and then breaks their software. Examples in Iowa
included Netscape and Novell's products.

Also see:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9007527

,----[ Quote ]
| January 08, 2007  (Computerworld) -- A Microsoft Corp. technical evangelist
| referred to independent software developers writing for Windows and the
| company's other software platforms as "pawns" and compared wooing them to
| convincing someone to have a one-night stand, according to testimony
| presented Friday against Microsoft in an ongoing antitrust case in Iowa.
|
| "If you've ever tried to play chess with only the pieces in the back row,
| you've experienced losing, OK, because you've got to have those pawns,"
| James Plamondon said in a Jan. 16, 1996, speech to members of Microsoft's
| developer relations group. His comments were part of a transcript presented
| as evidence in the Comes vs. Microsoft Inc. class-action lawsuit in Iowa.

Microsoft loves competition.
"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."
                --bradsi, Microsoft