Re: [News] Good Reading: Microsoft Has Hijacked "Open Source" Through OSI, ISO, EU

> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 03 November 2007 12:08 : \____

>>> Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> For example, in the pledge quoted above,
>>>|

>> The GPL and the FSF are *very* clear about what the GPL is for, and what
>> the "freedoms" are.
>>
>> Someone needs to start educating Neelie Kroes about this, as Microsoft
>> are in the processing of finessing her defeat of Microsoft into a total
>> Microsoft victory against open-source, therefore, against European
>> software development.
>>
>> Again, Microsoft's lunch-budget surely has a large impact on this.
>
> Sweaty Predatory Ballmer had a brew with Neelie. Neelie's adviser's were not
> around. That's when the agreement was made. Days ago:

She went to lunch /without/ her expertise?  Doh.  No wonder we ended up
with such an anti-free-software result.

> Why Brussels is Abuzz with Lobbyists

>| As the EU sets more rules, corporations are building their presence and
>| paying for clout
> `----
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/oct2007/gb20071018_193716.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Hardly surprising.  Money == corruption.

> Also days ago:
>
> E.U. de facto endorses Microsoft's (claims of) Software Patents!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Without explicitly saying that Microsoft does hold software patents
>| applicable in the E.U., by allowing (the raison d'être of) and accepting the
>| one-off payment of EUR 10,000 "to be paid by companies that dispute the
>| validity or relevance of Microsoft's patents", the European Commission
>| implicitly endorses Microsoft's claims of having the "interoperability
>| information" covered by software patents!
>|
>| UNBELIEVABLE.
> `----
>
> http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/10/30/15/13/02-e-u-de-facto-endorses-microsoft-
>
> He curses Kroes at the end. I don't want to quote it, but have a look.
>
> I'll write an article about this soon. Jeremy Allison agreed to contribute.

Well, they didn't, because software patents are not allowed, rather,
they got behind the concept of the payment of a Microsoft Tax.

If Kroes were lunching with Balmer, there's no wonder it went wrong.