[News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers

  • Subject: [News] Linux Obviates the Need for Drivers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:16:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hitting the Open Source Road With a Linux-Powered Driverless Vehicle

,----[ Quote ]
| "Any time something creative is done with Linux on Power, it showcases a
| unique solution and stimulates others to also think outside of the box to
| recognize that we can choose to live in an other than Wintel world and still
| be viable, even thrive," Kai Staats, CEO of Terra Soft Solutions, told
| LinuxInsider.

Rethinking the driver

,----[ Quote ]
| If these guys can do it, why can't Apple or Microsoft take it to the next
| level? Heck why stop at drivers, why not have a list of Applications that I
| can download right from the OS? Linux does a pretty good job of the
| applications downloads as well. It's features like this which, while
| requiring quite a bit of polish, make the Linux platform more and more
| appealing. Don't get me wrong, Linux still has device driver issues, but they
| are actually innovating in this area as opposed to just sitting back and
| doing what everyone else does.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/10/rethinking_the_drive.html

Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
| to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
| open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
| back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
| Kroah-Hartman said.
|
| [...]
|
| He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
| overstated...

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT9325931427.html

LINUX Developers’ Toolkit Debuts at Power Architecture Developer Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| Power.org introduced the Power Architecture LINUX Developer Toolkit and
| Reference Platform, 970MP Edition, an offering that helps members and their
| customers lower cost of development and accelerate their product’s time to
| market.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/linux/12271/linux-developers-toolkit-debuts-power-architecture-developer-conference

Linux Super Computer - Powered By Bicycles

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/09/15/linux-super-computer-powered-by-bicycles/