[News] The Command Line is Your Friend

What Non-Techies Should Know About The Command Line

,----[ Quote ]
| When faced with a shell prompt, the only thing some people, especially
| non-technical users, feel prompted to do is close it and stay in the confines
| of their graphical castle walls. For many people, a command-line shell is an
| unfamiliar thing. It's foreign, and requires learning foreign languages to
| speak to it, as far as they are concerned. Well, it doesn't have to be that
| way; the command line can be kind of fun. Whether you need to open a Bash
| prompt to solve a driver problem, or compile a program, or just to automate a
| simple task, it's always good to at least be familiar with your command-line
| shell.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/what_non_techies_should_know_about_command_line

Related:

Fear and loathing at the command line

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever the reasons, fear and loathing of the command line is so strong that
| the claim that GNU/Linux still requires its frequent use is enough to
| convince many people to stick with their current operating system. The claim
| is no longer true, but you can’t expect people to understand that when the
| claim plays on so many of their basic fears about computing.
`----

http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/fear-and-loathing-at-the-command-line/

Geek to Live: The command line comeback

,----[ Quote ]
| The advent of the Graphical User Interface (GUI) forever
| revolutionized personal computing. A windowed system with point
| and click icons made computers usable for anyone who couldn't deal
| with a black screen and a prompt waiting for arcane textual commands.
| But in recent years, this enormous interface change is coming full
| circle. Amongst power users - and more and more, regular Joe's - the
| command line is making a comeback in modern web and desktop
| applications.
`----

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/command-line/geek-to-live--the-command-line-comeback-226223.php
http://tinyurl.com/y88w3w

Who needs the command line? (Well, actually, we all do)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/who_needs_the_command_line_we_all_do