Re: Once again. Why do we want windows users?

  • Subject: Re: Once again. Why do we want windows users?
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 06:47:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verily I say unto thee, that keersarge spake thusly:

> Why is the entire pro-Linux news media so concerned about getting
> more desktop users from that other bloatware to switch?
[...]
> So what advantages do these millions of technology deficient users
> bring to the Linux community?  The only thing I can think of is
> driver support from manufacturers who then would have to support it.
> They have NOTHING else to donate.

Well I think you just answered your own question.

I also have no interest in GNU/Linux becoming the "dominant" OS.  Unlike
Microsoft, I am not interested in "taking over the world", and therefore
I really don't care what OS other people use,  provided their activities
do not /interfere/ with mine. However, both Microsoft and their products
/do/ in fact cause severe problems for non-Windows users, such as:

. Bot-nets of zombie Windows machines spewing spam and DDoS attacks
. Broken standards in networking, the Web, documents, and media
. Windows-only DRM systems
. Windows-only drivers
. Windows-only hardware (Win-modems, BIOSes, DirectX extensions, etc.)
. Windows-only software and services
. Patents held by mainly proprietary software vendors
. Sabotage of FOSS companies and projects, and their activities
. Anti-Linux FUD and lies spread by Microsoft and their proxies
. Deceit, corruption and bribery by Microsoft, to ensure "dominance"
. Microsoft's perversion of the standards process and related bodies
. Microsoft's perversion of public utilities with proprietary standards
. Coercive OEM deals designed to inhibit GNU/Linux adoption
. Government "lobbying" to implement Microsoft's agenda as law

So I do not think it has ever really been a case of wanting GNU/Linux to
"dominate", but rather a question of simply getting rid of the threat to
society posed by Microsoft. Where Windows users would go in the event of
such a happy outcome, I really don't care.

The fact is, that Microsoft and its proxies are violent, aggressive, and
grossly reprehensible goons with a criminal mentality, who have embarked
on a quest to essentially "take over",  (pretty much everything they can
get their grubby hands on), all in the name of greed. They simply do not
care how contemptuous their behaviour is, as long as it results in great
big wads of cash - that's all that matters to them.

I don't want GNU/Linux to win, I just want Microsoft to lose, then crawl
into a hole somewhere and die (like SCO), to leave the world in peace.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 06:46:23 up 85 days,  6:41,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00