Re: [News] Quake Wars 20% Faster on Linux Compared to Vista with ATI Cards

____/ Rob Hughes on Friday 02 November 2007 03:20 : \____

> That's nice. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with nvidia, and their drivers run
> ETQW more slowly under linux than xp, to the point that I had to drop from
> 1152x864 to 1024x768 with lower fsaa settings, and it's still not as
> smooth. Also, I haven't seen any plans for crysis on linux, and crysis is a
> must have for me.
>
> Hopefully, I get a better video card soon. I'm hoping to see something good
> about the R700 so I can go that way and get some open drivers. Otherwise, I
> guess I'll be getting a 8800GT and continuing to piss and moan about
> nvidia's blob.

>From what I could gather, ATI's drivers are yet to get even better (in terms of
performance, but also bug squashing). I'm pretty sure NVIDIA will need to
follow suit. Michael Larabel, with whom I get in touch with sometimes, is
already pressing NVIDIA gently. He has the most influence in this area
(Linux+GPUs). Dell was pressuring ATI, but I don't think they stock NVIDIAs,
at least not for their most Linux-friendly models.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie