Re: What happened to my Outlook Calendar?

____/ skydweller on Thursday 01 November 2007 21:14 : \____

> I work for a large financial concern.  There was some uneasiness about the
> DST change last weekend; I and others were invited to a conference call in
> the wee hours of Sunday morning to make sure the time on our 'nix boxes
> didn't fall back an hour.  We had patched everything last winter and early
> spring, but you can't be too sure ...
>
> False alarm - everything was fine.  Outside of the annoyance of receiving
> *four* different Windows updates to my workstation via SMS starting at 1:30
> AM, that is.  It's really difficult to do anything when your machine keeps
> rebooting.  Fortunately, I have exceptional skills.
>
> But I digress.  Imagine my surprise on Monday when my Outlook Calendar
> showed that my standing 3PM meeting was now scheduled for 4PM.  Not
> thinking too well after having not slept over the weekend, I called the
> meeting organizer to ask why he had rescheduled this, knowing that I leave
> the office at 4PM.  He angrily informed me that he had done no such thing.
> Then it dawned on me - DST strikes again!  This had happened in the spring,
> and it didn't occur to me that it would still be a problem.
>
> Oh, and our teleconferencing software doesn't know the correct time at the
> moment, either.
>
> And *Linux* has DST issues?

Haha... only if you listen to Microsoft marketers. From the past few months:

Microsoft preps customers early in hopes of avoiding DST fallout

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=718

Bang Goes the DST Time Bomb

,----[ Quote ]
| Monday brought more jeers than cheers from IT organizations
| about daylight-saving time fixes and the immediate impact
| on Microsoft software.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/bang_goes_the_dst_time_bomb.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/ynsvra

Microsoft Customers Irate over Daylight-Saving Time Woes

,----[ Quote ]
| Updated: This year's daylight-saving time change is causing major
| frustration for IT administrators running Microsoft programs that
| need to be individually patched to reflect the change.

No Saving Time in Microsoft DST Patches?

,----[ Quote ]
| IT managers are feeling grumpy about Microsoft's preparations for
| this year's early daylight-saving time. If anything, the situation
| shines another glaring light on patch management problems, how long
| Microsoft supports products and how much longer businesses tend to
| use them.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/no_saving_time_in_microsoft_dst_patches.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2rvf3a

Microsoft customers melting down over Daylight Saving patches

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users in the DST chat room are reporting problems
| getting their Blackberry servers and devices to sync up with
| their DST-patched Exchange servers. Others, in spite of Microsoft
| warnings to apply DST patches in a specific order, are running
| into problems because they are attempting to patch Exchange
| before Windows.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=307

Microsoft Cuts Price of Daylight Savings Time Patches

,----[ Quote ]
| For users running that software, Microsoft charges $4,000 per product
| for DST fixes.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129550-c,industrynews/article.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<
 00:00:01 up 2 days,  4:11,  3 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.60, 1.87