[News] US Government Shoots Self in Foot by Still Accepting Junk (Software) Patents

  • Subject: [News] US Government Shoots Self in Foot by Still Accepting Junk (Software) Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:47:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Court grants injunction against new patent rules

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has temporarily blocked the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
| from enforcing new rules that would impose some roadblocks on patent
| applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Critics of the current rules say continuation applications have been abused,
| and that the system is overburdened, and have generally supported the Patent
| Office's move. For its part, the office says the changes would help to reduce
| a backlog of applications to be processed.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9808976-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

This is insane. So they say that 800,000 application (or whatever the number
is) can go through a poor seive?

Acer sues HP again over patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The stacks of legal documents flying back and forth come at a time when both
| companies are hitting their stride. HP has been the reigning No. 1 PC vendor
| in the world for the past year and continues to report strong quarterly
| results.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9808687-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

EU forces Microsoft to cage open source patent dogs

,----[ Quote ]
| Under terms of the ruling, Microsoft will publish an irrevocable pledge not
| to assert any patents it may have over the interoperability information
| against non-commercial open source software development projects.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/63623,eu-forces-microsoft-to-cage-open-source-patent-dogs.aspx

No revival of software patents debate

,----[ Quote ]
| All speakers welcomed unequivocally the opportunity to discuss the issue at a
| high level and made clear that a new CII debate followed by legal
| modifications was neither necessary nor desirable.
`----

http://www.epo.org/focus/news/2007/20070706.html

European Patent Office: "We need to face up to new challenges"

,----[ Quote ]
| The message from industry is very clear, they want a Community patent, but
| they don't like what's on the table. There are also voices which say that
| they are absolutely certain that EPLA is exactly what they want, and others
| who have real reservations. But you have to get on with what you can, whether
| it's development of the European Patent Network or working more closely in
| the Trilateral with Japan and the US, and with the fast growing offices of
| China and South Korea.
`----

http://www.epo.org/about-us/press/backgrounders/interview.html

Euro patent workers have no faith in their masters

,----[ Quote ]
| European Patent Office (EPO) staff have "worryingly low" levels of
| trust in the organisation's highest governing bodies, according to
| a leaked internal document entitled Governance of the EPO: a
| staff perspective.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/11/epo_faithless_staff/

US Patent Office to Try 'Open Source' Approach

,----[ Quote ]
| The goal is to expedite the discovery of "prior art" - creations
| that existed before the applicant for a patent claimed he invented
| them. If successful, the Peer-to-Patent Web site could become a
| kind of SourceForge for intellectual property integrity.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/US_Patent_Office_to_Try_Open_Source_Approach/1181591652
http://tinyurl.com/2wnytr

Kill the patents, kill the problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever Novell's motivations in its dealing with Microsoft and
| subsequently with the EFF, the fact remains that if software
| patents are shown to be the harmful and counterproductive
| mistake we believe them to be, the industry will benefit in
| many ways. The community must remain united with this in mind.
| Nothing else matters.
`----

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39287268,00.htm?r=2

The Patent Puzzle

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent fights are fights about money. The secondary issue, the one
| that makes the headlines, is control. To really understand what's
| going on in the current patent posturing involving Microsoft, Novell,
| and a host of open-source companies and groups, it helps to keep
| those factors firmly in mind.

Linux Foundation Fires Back at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2007/tc20070525_325967.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology
http://tinyurl.com/3ya5lq