[News] Google Fights Facebooksoft with Open Standards

  • Subject: [News] Google Fights Facebooksoft with Open Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:36:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google vs. Facebook: Why I’m Rooting for the Kid

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of this reminds me of the Browser Wars, when Microsoft took a similar
| tactic with Netscape. (“You know that cool browser you created? You know how
| your business model hinges on selling it to people? Well we’re copying it and
| giving it away for free.”) Of course, Microsoft also made the mistake of
| tying its browser to its operating system, which cost it billions. No one can
| scream “monopoly!” here.
`----

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/10/31/why-im-rooting-for-the-kid/?source=yahoo_quote

Google Climbing the List of Largest U.S. Stocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the latest hit song climbing up the Billboard chart over the last
| several weeks, Google has been quickly rising to the top of the list of
| largest US companies.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/52321-google-climbing-the-list-of-largest-u-s-stocks?source=yahoo
http://tinyurl.com/38h5bt

Related:

Facebook shows off Thrift development environment

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook was originally designed on LAMP, an acronym used to describe the
| open-source stack of Linux, the Apache Web sever, the MySQL database and PHP,
| so it made sense to continue down an open-source path.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044722&intsrc=news_ts_head

Breaking: Newsvine Acquired By Microsoft — What is Microsoft going to do with
the Linux Hosted site they just bought?

| The funny thing is, The site is hosted on Debian Linux...
`----

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=383

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1616039231;fp;2;fpid;1

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;754084996;fp;2;fpid;1