[News] [Rival] Microsoft in the Midst of Lawsuit over Racist E-mails

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft in the Midst of Lawsuit over Racist E-mails
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:31:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Company Sues Over Racist E-Mails

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said they were created using Microsoft Corp.'s "Hotmail" e-mail
| service and purport to be from a Merrill Lynch regional administrative
| manager.
|
| [...]
|
| David Bowermaster, a Microsoft spokesman, said the company protects the
| privacy of its customers but will comply with court orders, including
| subpoenas and search warrants. He said the company "opposes discrimination in
| any form and will take swift action when it learns its products or services
| are being used in an abusive or harmful manner."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071031/merrill_lynch_emails.html?.v=3

Related:

It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
| blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
| policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
| to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
| Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
`----

http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.php/2007/09/28/its-me-vs-microsoft-who-will-win/

If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

,----[ Quote ]
| The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
| Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
| there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
| 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
| email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
| the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
| where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
| you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
| Vanish.
`----

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Attachment_Emails

Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

,----[ Quote ]
| "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
| spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
| instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
| spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
| to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13866&Itemid=1054

Hotmail engine overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
| a total wash, however.
|
| [...]
|
| With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
| Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6181819-2.html?tag=st.next

A Hybrid Approach to E-Mail: The Best of Both Worlds

,----[ Quote ]
| Given corporations' existing investments and their potential need to
| support additional Microsoft Exchange-compatible applications in the
| future, this hybrid open/proprietary approach will only work if it
| allows users to drop in an e-mail server without making changes to
| desktops or infrastructure.
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach employs a product that is compatible at the
| network-protocol level with the existing infrastructure. Outlook
| on the desktop will "think" it is talking to Exchange when it is
| really talking to the new Linux e-mail server, and end users do
| not know they are on a different server. IT professionals get a
| Linux e-mail server with higher performance, that uses lower-cost
| storage, and that works with existing datacenter applications such
| as Active Directory.

Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

,----[ Quote ]
| Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
| caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
| casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
| well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
| with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| The findings will disappoint Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who
| predicted at the 2004 Davos World Economic Forum that spam would
| be "eliminated" within two years.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.
`----

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/vista_what_to_do_when_you_cannot_delete_a_message_in_windows_mail

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]