[News] Five Lightweight Linuxes Compared

  • Subject: [News] Five Lightweight Linuxes Compared
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:04:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Lite: 5 Tiny Distros That Pack A Big Bang

,----[ Quote ]
| Some distributions of the open-source operating system are bloated, but Puppy
| Linux, Knoppix, SLAX, NimbleX, and -- yes -- Damn Small Linux will get you up
| and running fast.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=203100989&cid=nl_IWK_daily

Related:

Puppy, Damn Small Linux don't let me down

,----[ Quote ]
| I pulled the 30 GB hard drive from the $15 Laptop today, swapped in the
| original 3 GB drive (which wasn't bootable with its original Windows 98
| install) and decided to throw distros at it. For those not following along,
| it's a Compaq Armada 7770dmt, 233 MHz Pentium II, with the biggest chink in
| the armor being RAM -- only 64 MB of it.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/07/puppy_damn_small_linux_dont_le.html

Stop! Don't trash those old PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly enough, there is another operating system that most people are
| not familiar with called Linux. Linux (and its earlier version UNIX) have
| been around for a long time helping us place phones calls and providing
| access to the Internet. Linux, up until this point, has been mostly behind
| the scenes just doing its job and doing it well. You can get started with
| Linux at www.linux.org.
`----

http://www.reporter-times.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=91254&format=html

Linux For An Old Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| I have such a machine (Pentium 266 MMX, 80 MB RAM, 4 GB HD) which still
| sports a "Designed for Windows 95" sticker.
`----

http://www.pcdailytips.com/2007/07/23/linux-for-an-old-laptop/

The Year Of The Small Distro

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 may well be the year of the small distro.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/the_year_of_the_small_distro.html

Put your old machine to good use

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS, which, along with Kubuntu and Ubuntu is one of the best
| Linux distributions around, only requires an old Pentium II (!) to
| run nicely. The entire cost of Linux is the cost of the blank disk
| you'll need to burn yourself a copy, so it's worth it to play around.
| There's a good chance you'll like what you see.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2007-05-25-old-machine_N.htm?csp=34
http://tinyurl.com/292b73

How To Revive An Old PC With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, it could go to the landfill, or you might be able to get a
| tax deduction from donating it to a local school. Or, using a
| Linux-based operating system, you could turn it into a
| functional desktop, browser, and e-mail client, and put it
| back to work.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198500289

How to revive an old PC

,----[ Quote ]
| For better performance, most LiveCD distros can be installed onto a hard
| disk, but the process isn't as easy as it is with a conventional distro.
| There's still some hope, though. Currently the Ubuntu Lite project is working
| on a special customised release of Ubuntu for very low-end PCs. Similarly,
| the RULE Project offers a way to install current and recent releases of Red
| Hat's Fedora on low-end machines.

How to revitalize mature pentiums

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware that is obsolete in Windows World is not obsolete in the real
| world!
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_computing

Build This Cheap But Effective Firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| Fight the bad guys without busting your budget. Here's all you'll
| need to create a low-cost, super-secure firewall using
| Linux-based freeware and an old PC.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001131&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
http://tinyurl.com/ypqfrz

Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

,----[ Quote ]
| The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
| distribution designed for use in schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
| about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/16/1717243&tid=23&tid=46

Column: Linux lets you avoid upgrading computer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070108/NEWS01/701080307