[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Instant Messenger Rapidly Builds Compromised PC Networks (Botnets)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Instant Messenger Rapidly Builds Compromised PC Networks (Botnets)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:32:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Trojan horse spreads quickly through Microsoft's IM

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is really growing rapidly," said Lichtman. Six hours after it first
| found the Trojan horse, Aladdin put the total number of assembled bots at
| about 500; three hours later, that had climbed to several thousand. By 12:30
| p.m. EST Monday, the botnet had been built out to 11,000 machines.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;959081077;fp;4194304;fpid;1

The Future of Internet Immune Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| We need an immune system. There are plenty of bad guys out there, and
| technology gives them force-multipliers (like the hackers who run 250,000-PC
| botnets). Still, there’s a terrible asymmetry in a world where defensive
| takedowns are automatic, but correcting mistaken takedowns is done by hand.
`----

http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=479&doc_id=139358&;

Related:

The end of Windows, or a security expert gives up

,----[ Quote ]
| And then go and warn others to do the same. Windows is defeated - its days
| are over. It carries the worm inside. So whatever will
| happen next: RIP, Windows.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=456

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Gathering 'Storm' Superworm Poses Grave Threat to PC Nets

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/10/securitymatters_1004