[News] AMD Picks up Free Software Developer, Ponders Releasing 'Trade Secrets'

  • Subject: [News] AMD Picks up Free Software Developer, Ponders Releasing 'Trade Secrets'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 00:47:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Alex Deucher Joins AMD For OSS Work

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex Deucher, a free software developer who lately is responsible for much of
| the work on the xf86-video-ati driver, has today announced that he has joined
| AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjIwNg

Open Specs For ATI All-In-Wonder Cards?

| One of the questions that has come up since we reported that AMD is preparing
| for another GPU documentation release and that R100/200 specifications will
| be made available, is whether internal information on the All-In-Wonder
| graphics cards will be published.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjIwNQ

Related:

Open-Source Developers Speak Out About AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Daniel Stone had also mentioned that in less than ten hours of the
| specifications being available, GPU specifications were downloaded from the
| X.Org server over 70,000 times and ate up more than 1.3 terabytes of
| bandwidth!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=838&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

,----[ Quote ]
| Ending off the X Developer Summit this year, Matthew Tippett handed off ATI's
| GPU specifications to David Airlie on a CD (as reported by Daniel Stone).
| However, the specifications are also now available on the Internet!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA1Mw

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| This driver does not support AIGLX for Beryl or Compiz, but that support will
| finally arrive next month with fglrx 8.42. Linux 2.6.23 kernel support for
| the fglrx driver will hopefully arrive next month as well.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=833&num=1

AMD 8.41 Display Driver Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether you are using a Radeon X300 purchased a few years ago or the Radeon
| X1950PRO, the 8.41 driver is noticeably faster. How much faster? In many
| cases it is about 50% faster while in some configurations it may go as high
| as 90% or more. In fact, in some benchmarks the Mobility Radeon X300 was over
| 10x faster!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=821&num=1

AMD Delivers Significant Graphics Performance and Compatibility Enhancements
for Consumer Linux Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Moving forward, AMD also plans to accelerate efforts to address the needs of
| the open source community as well.
|
| "As client computing on Linux continues to grow so has our support and focus
| on delivering best-in-class performance and compatibility for our products,"
| said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of software, Graphics Product Group at AMD.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070904006432.html?.v=1

NVIDIA: Got Specifications?

,----[ Quote ]