[News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

  • Subject: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:27:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Monday's move follows last month's price cuts on the PS3 around the world,
| and Sony has said that sales have improved in the U.S., Japan and Europe. The
| 80-gigabyte version PS3 now sells for about $499, down from $599.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/ap_on_hi_te/japan_playstation

Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access to
the GPU.

Related:

Linux petitioners want Sony to open up PS3's graphical innards

,----[ Quote ]
| Access is blocked by the Hypervisor chip so there is no chance of
| getting around it without Sony's approval. And, naturally, Sony
| doesn't want geeks producing 3D games under Linux and undermining
| its investment. It flogs the console in order to make mountains of
| wonga on the highly-priced games folk play on it.
|
| [...]
|
| So now there's a a petition online asking Sony to open up the RSX.
| It's here.

Sony Studies Commercial PlayStation 3 Supercomputing Grid

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070412/tc_cmp/199000285

Cure@PS3 Performance Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Not even a full day after the release of the Folding@Home
| client for the Playstation 3, the total computing power of
| a mere 6,860 Playstation 3 systems has surpassed that of
| a vast 158,806 Windows computers!
`----

http://clete2.com/2007/03/23/foldinghome-on-the-playstation-3-status-report/

PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
| to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
| today's games.
`----

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos