Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista = XP with Less Applications, Less Speed, More Bugs

____/ BearItAll on Monday 19 November 2007 10:09 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Trust me on this
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | # “(Vista has) no new features” - None at all. For the last 5 years,
>> | # everyone
>> |    at Microsoft went on a cooking course. Thus had to drop features to
>> |    make time for icing on the cake.
>> |

> That isn't really true, Vista has hit some new ground, get off the surface
> and look underneath. Ok so it wasn't well implemented, but the ideas for
> security were good ideas. They will probably, in time, get them working as
> they should. So Linux and others shouldn't get complacent in the meantime.
>
>> | # “(Vista has) no speed boost” - A dedicated performance team inside the
>> |    Windows development division focused solely on how to improve
>> |    Solitaire’s frame rate.
>> |

> I have heard that too, so many on first boot coming into the chat group I
> use saying, on their first night with it 'It loads and runs faster than XP'
> then a few days later 'Actually, now that the anti-virus, security suite,
> ten million things that insist on being on the bar next to the clock,
> screen widgets (simmilar to those you get with Opera), by the time all of
> this is going you have had breakfast waiting for it to start up and all
> your resources are gone'.

Which goes back to the previous point. Underneath, the structural deficiencies
remain in tact.

>> | # “Microsoft provided these programs in the ‘Ultimate’ version of Vista
>> | # as a
>> |    weak attempt to compete with Apple’s iLife software suite.” - The
>> |    biggest Windows Vista secret yet to be revealed is a home
>> |    productivity suite. Because Robert has obviously used it.
>> |

> I've said it before and I'll say it again, because though the rest of you
> are descended from Monkeys, I am descended from Parrots, hence the blue
> collar, the pretty desktop does not make the slightest difference to anyone
> who uses a computer. The first thing you do after log in is open one of
> more applications, so the desktop is now out of sight, doesn't matter how
> pretty it is if you can't see it.

If you do see it, then you are not using your workspace effectively (not even
on my almost-4000-pixels-wide display). If you do work, then looks matter very
little. Unless a friend comes over and you want to show off some visuals you
would never bother with otherwise...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
Tasks: 129 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   1 stopped,   0 zombie