[News] Computer-literate and Less Literate Find Joy in GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Computer-literate and Less Literate Find Joy in GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:22:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Switching to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Gone are the days of reinstalling my OS to clean up all the gunk. Gone are
| the days of disk fragmentation and the blue screen of death, and gone are the
| days where programs crashed: malware and spyware simply can not exist in a
| linux environment with SELinux enabled.
`----

http://www.linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/Swtiching_to_Linux.html

My genealogist parents can use Linux now

,----[ Quote ]
| My parents currently use Windows ME (believe it or not) on a fairly old
| computer. According to them, their computer crashes quite often, which is not
| a surprise at all. In fact, I'm surprised it's still in a usable state.
`----

http://happylinuxthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-genealogist-parents-can-use-linux.html

Days ago:

A year with Linux on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://flagrantdisregard.com/index.php/2007/11/16/a-year-with-linux-on-the-desktop/

| Novell claimed several months
| back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
| 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
| some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
| 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
| Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
| was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/