Re: [News] XMMS Returns to Development After 3+ Idle Years

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 19 November 2007 08:50 : \____

> Nicolas Travenko <travenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> "ed" <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Over the last four years, I've had no need to use anything other than
>>> XMMS. I'm sure if the author wanted to make money from it they would
>>> have not released it as open source. It's a bit of a stupid argument to
>>> imply that the author wanted to make money from it directly.
>>>
>>> How do you know that the author did not make money indirectly? It may
>>> have earned him a better position in the company where he works as it
>>> shows quite a good commitment to a worthy cause.
>>
>> Indirectly perhaps he did. But it wasn't XMMS that made him the money. It
>> was his *real* job that pays the bills.
>>

> How do you know that his real job isn't to write xmms?  There are
> thousands of people being employed to write OSS.
>
> I know of about 10,000 in one major tier one telco alone - this would be
> an Asian Telco.  Here's one example:
>
> http://www.docomolabs-usa.com/indexFla.html
>
> Your "free software doesn't make money" argument is so 1990s, just like
> your employer.  Why don't you run along and post in a suitable group?

You're replying to Scott Douglas by the way (just in case you were not aware).

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 09:05:01 up 19 days, 13:03,  4 users,  load average: 2.81, 2.75, 2.34