[News] The Desktop is Replaced by... Linux

  • Subject: [News] The Desktop is Replaced by... Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:44:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Desktop, schmesktop meets Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has changed all of that. They have announced and made available a full
| open source stack for mobile phones. It covers everything from the bare metal
| upwards, and it's extensible. It's called Android.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-schmesktop-meets-android.html

Google closer to mobile airwaves bid: sources

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc is considering bidding alone on coveted airwaves to launch a U.S.
| wireless network, as a deadline nears to declare bidding plans, sources
| familiar with the situation said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071117/wr_nm/google_mobileairwaves_dc

Related:

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com/2007/02/after-desktop-what.html

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Mobile Linux gets it right