Re: [News] [Rival] Don't let .NET drive your car ... it "leaks"

____/ Phil Da Lick! on Saturday 17 November 2007 20:36 : \____

> [H]omer wrote:
>> C# Memory Leak Torpedoed Princeton's DARPA Chances
>>
>> .----
>> |    nil0lab writes "In a case of 20/20 hindsight, Princeton DARPA
>> | Grand Challenge team member Bryan Cattle reflects on how their code
>> | failed to forget obstacles it had passed. It was written in
>> | Microsoft's C#, which isn't supposed to let you have memory leaks.
>> | 'We kept noticing that the computer would begin to bog down after
>> | extended periods of driving. This problem was pernicious because it
>> | only showed up after 40 minutes to an hour of driving around and
>> | collecting obstacles. The computer performance would just gradually
>> | slow down until the car just simply stopped responding, usually
>> | with the gas pedal down, and would just drive off into the bush
>> | until we pulled the plug. We looked through the code on paper,
>> | literally line by line, and just couldn't for the life of us
>> | imagine what the problem was.'"
>> `----
>>
>> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/17/0552247
>>
>> Microsoft's finest "coo-ality" Slopware.
>>

> Never liked the idea of sloppy coding based on garbage collection
> myself. It's alright assuming that things will be deleted on idle action
>   if you can't be arsed to delete it yourself but what happens if your
> application is mission critical and mostly working?
>
> Bad approach = bad result.

lwn.net has a new long new article on memory.

Memory part 6: More things programmers can do

http://lwn.net/Articles/256433/

The best part of the  "Microsoft Car Needs Rebooting Because of Memory Leaks"
article above is this:

"After 40 minutes, we would stop the car and reboot the computer to restore the
performance."

http://www.codeproject.com/showcase/IfOnlyWedUsedANTSProfiler.asp

Ladies and gents, start and engines! And..... reboot. Just like those trains in
the UK...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Reversi for free: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1510068k total,   355396k used,  1154672k free,   101180k cached