[News] Televisions Become Linux/GNU PCs

  • Subject: [News] Televisions Become Linux/GNU PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 00:46:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Now that your TV is a computer

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also a computer that runs Linux, the free open-source operating system.
| I know because it crashed once, and I got a command prompt. (Plus, the Dish
| people have Linux programming code posted on their Web site, as they're
| supposed to under the open-source license.) Since it is a computer, it can be
| upgraded. And it's been getting upgraded like crazy.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/technology/ny-bzdolinar1118,0,866932.column

Related:

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
|
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news
http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html#comments

TV Makers to Collaborate on Internet TV Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The new sets reportedly will be based on the Linux operating system.

| The Japanese consumer electronics companies aim to develop
| broadband-enabled televisions that can download and display videos from
| the internet wihtout the need for a separate set-top box or computer.
|
| They plan to establish a common standard for aspects of internet TV,
| based on a Linux operating system.
`----

http://informitv.com/articles/2006/08/05/internettvplans/

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux