Re: [News] Linux Servers Do the Job Better Than Apple's "Toys"

____/ BearItAll on Friday 16 November 2007 11:53 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Server to server: MacOS X vs. Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | That’s why my bottom line on MacOS X Server versus Linux is simple:
>> | ordinary users don’t have a choice, if wintel is an organizational given
>> | then Apple’s co-existence strategy makes MacOS X preferable to Linux,
>> | but for anything bigger than a mom and pop shop, the right data center
>> | solution is Linux, not MacOS X. Why? tecause when it comes to cleaning
>> | the Augean stables front end loaders just work better than perfume
>> | spritzers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1006
>>

> That was a hard paragraph to read. Even after I have read the article I
> don't know what the quoted paragraph is trying to say.
>
> But, generally I agree with what he was saying in the article, ease of setup
> and maintenance will count for much more than cost to many users.
> Particularly those who do not want or can't afford a full time IT person.
>
> Many small buisinesses, and actually some large ones too, prefer the
> retainer system where a remote admin checks in, does basic maintenance and
> only comes out for major problems. That is quite a good earner for Linux
> people looking for a bit of beer money (approx £300 per month per customer,
> can buy a lot of beer with that)).
>
> I like the spec of the Apple servers and I haven't actually sat in front of
> one, but for some reason they have never set the IT world alight. Have you
> ever known anyone who has an Apple server?
>
> There has to be something holding people back, personally I think it would
> be cost, simple sums, you can get a much better HP or IBM server hardware
> for less money, what ever OS you decide to put on it. If the Apple Servers
> were fantastic set-the-world-alight servers, then that wouldn't have
> mattered, because IT folk are well known for stretching a budget to get the
> 'nicer' one rather than the one we need. If Apple was good we would have
> them.
>
> A modern Linux though, each of the main distros are well established. You
> can go for the hardware that meets your needs, high end, mid range or low
> end, all are catered for. All have good reputations, niggles and grumbles
> for each one too obviously, but nothing that stops a server being server.
>
> From blank machine to fully operational server these days is within 30
> minutes (add something for mega huge hard drive formatting), if you have
> the usernames and their initial passwords in a text file then the setup of
> all users can be included in that 30 mins how ever many users you have
> (type users by hand? Not me mate, if you have to type something twice,
> script it).

I think the main point to make is that the prettiness of Macs (GUI or hardware)
has no significance at all in the back room.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com