[News] No Central Control is a Linux Advantage

  • Subject: [News] No Central Control is a Linux Advantage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:40:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SolutionBase: Get familiar with alternative Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop customization in Linux is very flexible; from the ultra-modern KDE
| and GNOME window managers to with the likes of Fluxbox and AfterStep, there's
| a Linux desktop to suit everyone.
`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2415-10877_11-176034.html

Open source values: Consensus

,----[ Quote ]
| All this is in stark contrast to the proprietary model, which is at heart an
| entrepreneurial model. Bill Gates and Larry Ellison give orders, set
| direction, and play business differences like great poker players. Neither
| could have succeeded, I think, if open source were the chief model for
| software success 20 years ago.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1682

It's about choice (not the choice of one person).

Related:

Google talks Vista with the European Commission

,----[ Quote ]
| The company recently sent a top executive to Brussels to let the EC know
| that Google is concerned about "choice" in future Microsoft products.

How did we all end up with Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/26/microsoft_default_phenomenon/