[News] Microsoft a Resource-hogging Godzilla, Linux Tested on Core 2

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft a Resource-hogging Godzilla, Linux Tested on Core 2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:21:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away

,----[ Quote ]
| “What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.” Such has been the conventional
| wisdom surrounding the Windows/Intel (“Wintel”) duopoly since the early days
| of Windows 95. In practical terms, it means that performance advancements on
| the hardware side are quickly consumed by the ever-increasing complexity of
| the Windows/Office code base. Case in point: Microsoft Office 2007 which,
| when deployed on Windows Vista, consumes over 12x as much memory and nearly
| 3x as much processing power as the version that graced PCs just 7 short years
| ago (Office 2000).
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-intel-giveth-microsoft-taketh-away.html

Linux performance has just been tested in this very detailed benchmark.

Intel Core 2 “Penryn” and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So what are these features and how will they equate into benefits to the
| consumer and, more specifically, Linux users? That's what Linux Hardware is
| here to unravel. In this review I'll cover all the high points of the
| new “Penryn” core and talk to a couple Linux projects about the impact on
| end-user performance.
`----

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/15/2015212

Related:

Microsoft issues significant fix for Vista graphics memory overflows

,----[ Quote ]
| "Out of Memory" errors conjure up dark reminders of DOS and the 640 KB limit,
| but that's exactly what some Windows Vista users have been experiencing when
| running some of the latest games.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070829-microsoft-issues-fix-for-vista-graphics-memory-overflows.html

Buying a new PC? 'Windows Vista Capable' barely hits the mark

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's on-the-box minimum RAM requirement "really isn't
| realistic," according to David Short, an IBM consultant who works
| in its company's Global Services Divison. He says users should
| consider 4GB of RAM if they really want optimum Vista performance.
| With 512MB of RAM, Vista will deliver performance that's
| "sub-XP," he warned.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011523
http://tinyurl.com/2x29tu

Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista has a radically different approach to memory
| management.
|
| [...]
|
| At the time this screenshot was taken, this machine had a few
| instances of IE7 running, plus one remote desktop. I'm hardly
| doing anything at all, yet I only have 6 megabytes of free
| physical memory.

Vista vs. Windows XP: Head to Head Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| # In most cases, Vista is slower than XP, but not terribly.
| Photoshop tests showed a drop in performance of 7 or 8 percent
| on dual-core PCs and 13 to 23 percent on single-core machines.
|
| # Gaming is about the same, with Vista dropping frame rates from 5 to 25
| percent, depending on the machine (and with no regard for CPU type).
|
| [...]
|
| Some lessons from the story: Memory is critical, with 2GB being the
| sweet spot for Vista. 64-bit CPUs were slower than 32-bit CPUs, as
| well, but, as noted above, dual-core makes a big difference.
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/13487

Microsoft Windows Vista: How much memory is enough?

,----[ Quote ]
| As it stands right now, you'll get the best overall performance from Vista
| with 2GB. So there you have it. If you're contemplating upgrading to Vista,
| or already running it, that's all you need to know about its memory
| requirements. Do yourself a favor and use at least 1GB of memory, testing
| with 512MB was just painful...
`----

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2163&page=4

Testing Vista's different memory configurations

,----[ Quote ]
| You simply cannot play games on Vista with 512MB o memory, at least not the
| games wen tested. You will sometimes get playable scores but even then the
| experience and the load time will be ridiculous.
|
| Anything more than 512MB will help you a lot, with 2x1GB being the best
| price performance buy.
|
| 4x1GB is the best choice for best raw performance. It is hard to prove it
| ^^^^^
| in every test, but if you have 2x1GB and you load as much in memory, the
|                                ^^^^^
| system will become endessly slow.
|                             ^^^^

Vista Runs Smooth Only on 2G Memory

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Dell CEO Kevin Rollins suggested otherwise on Thursday, 26 Oct at
| a speech at Shanghai's Jiaotong University. "I think they tell you maybe 1
| gig of memory is OK. No, two gigs of memory would be great."
|
| This echoes with my own experience with Vista RC2. With only 1G of
| RAM, there are many disk activities indicating heavy disk swap, a
| symptom of lack of memory in the system.
`----

http://www.itechnote.com/2006/10/27/vista-runs-smooth-only-on-2g-memory/

Windows Vista consumes 600MB of RAM with no apps running

,----[ Quote ]
| closed the sidebar, but sidebar.exe is still alive and using 26MB.
| Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is using 55MB. The Search
| Indexer is consuming 30MB. Even the recommended 1GB of RAM might not
| leave much room for applications on Vista.
`----

http://vistaonamacbookpro.info/?p=108

Vista System Memory Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista: Facing a Slow Adoption. In the beginning, early adopters and
| gamers who are looking to ready themselves for the DirectX 10 upgrade
| will be best suited for those ready to make an investment in the
| unknown.
|
| Considering how many software and game titles will likely need to
| be run in "compatibility mode" until patches are released across
| the board, I would suggest really looking at what Vista's advantages
| are before taking the plunge.
|
| No matter how much we may wish to see the path Vista is about to
| embark on, the fact remains that because of its hardware requirements,
| Vista adoption may turn out to be rather slow.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2395&Itemid=449

Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://bytepowered.org/articles/Article/Microsoft-Windows-Is-A-Greedy-Memory-Hog--The-Cure-Is-To-Feed-It-RAM/539
http://tinyurl.com/yn9ztx