[News] Patent War in the Making; EFF Fight More Patent Madness

  • Subject: [News] Patent War in the Making; EFF Fight More Patent Madness
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:00:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
U R SUED: Patent holding company targets 131 companies over SMS patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes, it seems as if licensing and patent holding companies are holding
| a secret contest between themselves to see who can pack in the most
| defendants into a patent lawsuit. Technology Patents LLC may be the new
| champion for suing 131 companies worldwide—the list goes on and on, naming
| companies like Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, Telstra, AT&T, Cincinnati Bell,
| Motorola, Microsoft, Helio, Taiwan Mobile, O2, Rogers Wireless, China
| Resources Peoples Telephone Company, Yahoo, Sprint, and everyone in between.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071113-ur-sued-patent-company-targets-t-mobile-microsoft-129-others-due-to-sms.html

EFF Supports Consumer Right To Repair, Resell Patented Goods

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has urged the U.S. Supreme Court to
| protect consumers' traditional right to use, repair, and resell the products
| they own, even if those products are patented. At stake is the enforceability
| of "single use" and "not for resale" labels on patented products.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/14443/eff-supports-consumer-right-repair-resell-patented-goods

Related:

When Patents Threaten Science

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
| nature, or mathematical formulas.
`----

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/314/5804/1395

Microsoft hopes to patent 'automatic goodbye messages'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is trying to patent automatic goodbye messages, including "Have a
| great afternoon!" and "Ciao, Harry!"
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/07/microsoft_tries_to_patent_automatic_goodbye_messages/

Microsoft Deems Emotiflags Patent-Worthy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said you could count on them to improve patent quality.
| For an example of how they're raising the bar on innovation, check
| out this just-published patent application for Emotiflags, which
| Microsoft explains solves the problem of indicating an emotion
| associated with an email message. At the risk of infringing on the
| patent, this one Makes Me Mad!"
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/16/038207&from=rss

Microsoft patent hints at pay-as-you-go OS

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft patent application from June 2005, published only today,
| titled "System and method for delivery of a modular operating system"
| may signal a fundamental change for what an operating systems stands
| for and how it is sold.
`----

http://www.istartedsomething.com.nyud.net:8080/20061215/pay-as-you-go-os-patent/

In Microsoft Patent App, TV Watches You

,----[ Quote ]
| In a just-published patent application for delivering Advertising that is
| relevant to a person, nine Microsoft inventors spell out plans for using
| cameras, remote controls and biometric sensors...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070730/162255.shtml

Advertising that is relevant to a person - classic case of patent trolling

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent application Advertising that is relevant to a person just filed by
| Microsoft is a splendid example of patent abuse or patent trolling.
`----

http://www.ventureitch.com/?p=372

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

MS Seeks Patent On Virtual Fuzzy Dice

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft just published a patent application for an adaptive heads-up user
| interface for automobiles. It covers, among other things, virtual fuzzy dice
| that appear to move with automobile movements.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/23/1310253&from=rss

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

Microsoft stole KittenAuth, renamed it and claimed it as their own.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Asirra project sites Oli as a source yet the Yahoo news story
| did not. I can only imagine that the more and more the Asirra project is
| pushed into the public domain, the less Oli will be cited as having the
| original idea. This isn't actually fair and I'd be very very upset if I was
| him. The idea is excellent yet the credit certainly won't be passed in his
| direction anymore. Any financial gain from the project won't pay royalties to
| him either and it's not like he could patent the idea originally.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/microsoft_stole_kittenauth_renamed_it_and_claimed_it_as_their_own_

Microsoft files further adware patent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2007/09_14a.xml

,----[ Quote ]
| 'MS are key sponsors of "Voices For Innovation" aimed at MS customers
| and designed to put a positive spin on software patents and enlist people
| to lobby on their behalf.'
`----

http://aralbalkan.com/939

Patent creators say Microsoft lied to get better deal on DVR patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is facing a patent lawsuit over its failed Ultimate TV DVR
| system. The lawsuit, filed by joint venture company Intellivision
| (no relation to the Mattel console), accuses the company of making
| fraudulent and misleading claims in order to acquire intellectual
| property without having to make royalty payments.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070604-patent-creators-say-microsoft-lied-to-get-better-deal-on-dvr-patents.html
http://tinyurl.com/2bpmv7

Fun with Google Patent Search: Why does the maker of Windows hold a patent on
a door hinge?

,----[ Quote ]
| The patent was granted in 1998 and received a dribble of publicity
| in 1999, but I'm hard pressed to find any meaningful explanation for
| a door hinge being in the control of the company that made Windows famous.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/9721

Commerce Secretary names Schramm to innovation panel

,----[ Quote ]
| He will be part of a lineup that includes the Microsoft Corp. CEO
| Steve Ballmer, 3M CEO George Buckley, UPS Chairman and CEO Michael Eskew,
| IBM CEO Samuel Palmisano and Wal-Mart Stores Vice Chairman John
| Menzer.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061206/1386414.html?.v=2

Did Microsoft just patent sudo?

,----[ Quote ]
| 1985, huh? And when did this Microsoft patent happen? It was filed in
| 2000. Well gee, that doesn't make sense. How'd they get the patent?
| It certainly falls under the category of "obvious" if there's prior
| art such as sudo.
|
| What makes this whole thing funny, though, is something I saw a couple
| days ago. Head over to Builder-AU and listen to Peter Watson from
| Microsoft. He says,
|
|   "User Account Control is a great idea and strategically
|   a direction that sort of all operating systems and all technology
|   should be heading down"
|
| Excuse me? Does he really believe this is all Microsoft's great new
| idea?
|
| In the end, this seems like a patent that Microsoft will hold up and
| say "we have a patent and Linux is violating it!" They won't ever
| sue on it though (just leave the threat hanging to scare away
| potential users), because then they could have the patent revoked.
| It's better for them to just wave it around.
`----

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/05/did-microsoft-just-patent-sudo.html

Microsoft Wins in Supreme Court; AT&T Ruling Overturned

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Wins_in_Supreme_Court_ATT_Ruling_Overturned/1177944397