[News] XO/Linux Laptops All About the Apps, Support ODF, Available in the US

  • Subject: [News] XO/Linux Laptops All About the Apps, Support ODF, Available in the US
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:02:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mesh networks on OLPC: it's all about the application level

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the applications currently can communicate only with the same
| applications running on other OPLC laptops, they are based on open source and
| open standards (such as ODF for documents) and therefore could work with
| other standard-compliant applications on other systems in the future. Bletsas
| mentioned the Nokia 8-series as a possible collaborating platform.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/11/mesh_networks_on_olpc_its_all.html?CMP=OTC-6YE827253101&ATT=Mesh+networks+on+OLPC+it+s+all+about+the+application+level
http://tinyurl.com/38ztkb

Why you should buy an OLPC XO Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| This program lasts for only 2 weeks. For $400 ($200 of which is a
| tax-deductible donation), a person will be paying for 1 laptop to go to a
| child in a developing nation and will receive 1 laptop for themself.
`----

http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071112.html

Related:

One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

,----[ Quote ]
| For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
| deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
| Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
| laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

(Video) OLPC Interface Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]