[News] [Rival] Total Comprise for Microsoft's Best O/S is Possible

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Total Comprise for Microsoft's Best O/S is Possible
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:53:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft patches a 'critical' hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft gave the serious security fix its most urgent "critical" rating.
| Hackers could exploit a vulnerability using Internet Explorer 7, and possibly
| other programs, and take over a user's computer for a variety of nefarious
| purposes, such as stealing passwords or pumping out spam.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071114/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_security

Zombie PCs are not going away until Windows is history (or rebuilt properly
from scratch). Lots of serious security issues recently...

Yesterday:

Microsoft exec calls XP hack 'frightening'

,----[ Quote ]
| "You can download attack tools from the Internet, and even script kiddies can
| use this one," said Mick.
|
| Mick found the IP address of his own computer by using the XP Wireless
| Network Connection Status dialog box. He deduced the IP address of Andy's
| computer by typing different numerically adjacent addresses in that IP range
| into the attack tool, then scanning the addresses to see if they belonged to
| a vulnerable machine.
|
| Using a different attack tool, he produced a security report detailing the
| vulnerabilities found on the system. Mick decided to exploit one of them.
| Using the attack tool, Mick built a piece of malware in MS-DOS, giving it a
| payload that would exploit the flaw within a couple of minutes.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6218238.html

Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/14365/duh-windows-encryption-hacked-via-random-number-generator