[News] GNU/Linux and FOSS Support Beefs up in the UK, Open Source Companies Created

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux and FOSS Support Beefs up in the UK, Open Source Companies Created
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:49:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
One-stop open-source support launched in U.K.

,----[ Quote ]
| The supported distributions include Debian, Ubuntu, Suse, Red Hat, Xandros,
| Gnome, KDE, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Kolab Groupware, eGroupware, Asterisk, Apache,
| Samba, Nagios, and Xen.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6218232.html

Open source from a *gasp* British company:

Open source ECM now served Alfresco

,----[ Quote ]
| Local enterprises are taking advantage of a low barrier to entry into content
| management with the open source Alfresco ECM system for a range of new
| projects - from records keeping to image hosting.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1632413420&rid=-50

Ethan Galstad Launches Nagios Enterprises

UK government still watching open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK government does not know how much open-source software it uses or what
| its value is, ministers have admitted.
|
| [...]
|
| Gillian Merron, minister for transformational government in the Cabinet
| Office, said there were no targets to promote the use of open source software
| such as the Linux operating system or the OpenOffice productivity
| suite, "except where it is the most cost-effective way" of meeting government
| needs.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?newsID=10498&pagtype=samechan

Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

,----[ Quote ]
| A member of Parliament of the United Kingdom has launched a stinging
| attack on the U.K. government's IT strategy, saying that it has given
| Microsoft too much control.
|
| John Pugh, who is a member of Parliament, or MP, for Southport and a
| member of the Public Accounts Committee, was speaking in an
| adjournment debate on Tuesday that he had called. The aim of the
| debate, he said, was to explore the alternatives to using Microsoft
| software, including open source.
`----

http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-U.K.-government-on-Microsoft-policy/2100-1012_3-6212721.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

The trainwreck-waiting-to-happen that is UK government IT spending

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about that. Think about what this means: eight vendors have a
| tremendous amount of leverage over the taxpayers of the United Kingdom.
|
| [...]
|
| The UK, in other words, is a captive of its IT vendors. That is shockingly
| wrong.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9777862-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The [UK] politics of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been a suggestion of a shift towards open source in the
| houses of government in the UK recently, with the Conservative
| Party promising to promote open source if elected and the incumbent
| Labour Party releasing the code behind its new carbon footprint
| calculator under the General Public License.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/07/the_politics_of.html

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]