[News] Open Source Priciples Adopted in Research and Economics

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Priciples Adopted in Research and Economics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:44:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source drug discovery proponent is new CSIR chief

,----[ Quote ]
| The appointment of Brahmachari, a staunch supporter of open source drug
| discovery models that can be used for common good, has come at a time global
| initiatives for collaborative drug discovery are being chalked out under the
| leadership of the World Health Organisation.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=304159&leftnm=3&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Back-Office Support for Busy Microfinancier

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mifos software is open source, meaning that the code is open to anyone to
| tinker with or debug. The best-known software developed under the open-source
| model is Linux, an operating system that is an alternative to Microsoft
| Windows.
|
| The open-source approach means that microfinance institutions that use Mifos
| will not be dependent on software companies to make improvements and new
| versions. It can also be tailored to suit local needs. The software is
| Web-based, so that it can be tapped into using any computer with a browser
| or, potentially, a cellphone.
|
| The software is being written by a handful of full-time developers employed
| by Mifos, contributors at companies like I.B.M. and part-time
| volunteers. “Open-source development is more participatory, getting a lot of
| people involved to solve problems,” Mr. Conard said. “It really seems the
| right approach for what we’re doing with microfinance.”
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/giving/12micro.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=4e243279Q2FQ23uQ27NQ23XdQ3C_zddqxQ23xPP.Q23ttQ23txQ23geQ7BeVgQ23txUeQ3CzdQ3E4qUQ2A

Related:

Open-Source Drug Safety?

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a million Americans take Avandia every year; the risk
| Glaxo had found would mean thousands of extra heart attacks. But
| the company argued that the risk only occurred in patients who
| already had serious heart problems, and that it didn't show up
| in long-term clinical trials. The FDA made no decision, and no
| public statement.
|
| [...]
|
| It's an open source approach to drug safety.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/sciencesandmedicine/2007/05/21/fda-glaxo-avandia-biz-sci_cx_mh_0522fda.html

Open Source Pharmaceuticals - New Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source" as applied to culture defines a culture in which
| intellectual property is made generally available. Participants
| in such a culture are able to improve and modify those products
| and redistribute them back into the community.
`----

http://www.farmavita.net/content/view/336/51/

Thailand fed up with high drug prices - minister

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have thought about this for more than five years. It's long enough,"
| said Mongkol na Songkhla, who is leading one of the biggest challenges to
| Big Pharma's patent rights in years.
`----

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/2/19/worldupdates/2007-02-19T014311Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_-288239-1&sec=worldupdates

Biology Goes Open Source