Re: The Dell-Novell Fiasco, OpenSUSE Distances Self from Novell

____/ bmillerjacobson@xxxxxxxxx on Monday 12 November 2007 23:41 : \____

> On Nov 12, 4:26 pm, 7 <website_has_em...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Yea but I'm never going to buy or evaluate Novel/Micoshaft axis crap.
>> Anything touched by micoshaft is living on borrowed time and borrowed
>> good will of open source developers to support it.
>>
>> Its not worth the hassle to deal with idiots on the patent troll run
>> wielding sticks and carrots. If you deal with them, then they will
>> be back with more sticks and carrots. Clean GPL'd open source
>> gets away from all that and sticking with genuine open source
>> will help replace micoshaft and their tainted satellite companies
>> with clean uninfected companies that are offering genuine open source
>> products and services. Thats where the money is. Thats where the future is
>> for everyone with plans for extensive use of open source.
>
> I more or less agree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that a
> company with Linux servers and winblow$ desktops might see this "Novel/
> Micoshaft axis crap" as a Good Thing, even though it is obviously not
> to any of us. This is classic Micro$oft B.S. but it might work. I hope
> it won't, but it might.

The least one can do is raise awareness. I'm pleased to see that con-sys has
just referred to the partnership as "the deal everyone hates." eWeek cited
boycottnovell.com also, so people are at least aware of the backlash (it
wasn't the case last year). Even Forbes did... and Spiegel. So people always
have it at the back of their minds that there's something fishy about this
deal, even if they do not understand the technical details.

> Does anyone know how the current Open Source tools to interface Linux
> and Winblow$ are? I haven't ever used them myself. If they are good
> enough, this could be a non-issue.

There's no real interoperability issue. As many people have stated, it's just
an illusion that Microsoft and Novell create to market themselves. They want
to extend their relationship though in order to create incompatibilities (e.g.
in hypervisor, Mono/Moonlight, and OOXML).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 126 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie