Re: 'Father of UNIX' Goes Open Source, Grid OS Revealed

On 11 Nov, 22:14, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>

> > ____/ Matt on Sunday 11 November 2007 12:59 : \____

> >http://www.kirps.com/web/main/_blog/all/mit-releases-the-sources-of-m...
>
> >> Not clear why you didn't mention 'MULTICS' in the subject line of your post.
>
> > I never heard about MULTICS before, so I was (perhaps wrongly) assuming that
> > saying "the father of UNIX"--as in the headline of the cited blog item--would
> > be OK.
>
> You took the words right out of my mouth.  I was going to say "most
> people probably haven't heard of multics, so it would be a sh1t
> headline."
>
> My case proven, I think.

I'm not much of a geek, but I know what MULTICS was, in relation to
UNIX.  Hell, most any history of the Free Software movement will go
through the basics: At Bell Labs, there was MULTICS, then UNIX...
which then leads by different paths to BSD (Thompson), GNU (Stallman)
and Linux (Torvalds).  Even Wikipedia tells it that way, methinks.