Re: A critisism of Fedora 8

____/ philo on Sunday 11 November 2007 23:31 : \____

> "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2e7k05-isk.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> In the interest of fairness and balance, I feel compelled to say a few
>> harsh words about the latest release of Fedora, version 8.
>>
>> When Fedora Core 2 was released, I branded it "b0rken Core" because it
>> had a slew of problems (mainly kernel related). Fedora Core 4 had an
>> even nastier bug that invalidated hard drives, due to a conflict between
>> the new method used by the kernel disk subsystem to calculate disk
>> geometries, and userland tools like parted still using the old method.
>>
>> But with the exception of those two issues, every other release of
>> Fedora from 1 to 6 inclusive has been excellent. There were few
>> compatibility issues, the releases were stable - despite the general
>> "bleeding-edge" status of Fedora, package availability was high -
>> approaching the level seen at Debian, and the overall presentation was
>> slick and intuitive.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Well I've been using Linux since I first installed RH5.2 about 7 years
> ago...
> and since RH7 on have pretty much liked either RH or Fedora Core...
> however a few months back I discovered PCLinuxOS
> and was quite impressed.
> I may be done with FC now

For quite some time, Red Hat (not the Fedora community) has been working behind
the curtains.

Red Hat Preps Desktop Blitz, Regional Events

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy hears. After focusing mainly on x86 servers in recent years, Red
| Hat will move both downstream and upstream while rallying partners at
| regional events later this year.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/03/22/red-hat-preps-desktop-blitz-regional-partner-events/

Red Hat Global Desktop to appear in November

,----[ Quote ]
| When Red Hat announced its upcoming Linux desktop at its annual summit in
| May, the company predicted the Red Hat Global Desktop would be out by
| September. Now, delayed a bit, the new desktop Linux will be appearing in
| November, company executives are saying.

Red Hat Offers Global Desktop for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Red Hat launching a new Linux-based desktop operating system,
| called Global Desktop for Linux, one analyst is saying the software
| could be "huge" for Linux, particularly in developing countries that
| haven't gone the Microsoft Windows route. Red Hat's Global Desktop
| for Linux is a commercial spinoff of the One Laptop Per Child project.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Red-Hat-Offers-Global-Desktop-for-Linux/story.xhtml?story_id=0110001A6OI0

Some deals signed ALREADY. Sheesh.

Red Hat small business desktops available in Australia early 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Mr Riveros, Red Hat's new Linux desktop release will be easy to
| implement by small businesses with no Linux expertise in house and will
| require less security knowledge than for Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13943/53/

Dell beefs up Precision portable workstation line

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is adding more power to its high-end line of mobile workstations with
| the debut of the Precision M6300, a 17" notebook geared at engineers,
| developers, video editors and others who need to tote around some serious
| silicon.
|
| [...]
|
| RedHat Linux 5.1 will be available on the system in October.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/04/dell_precision_m6300/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep