Re: [Roy Schestowitz cannot stop lying] [Rival] Another Major Site Runs Windows, Serves All Visitors with Malware After PWNAGE

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:13:53 +0000 (UTC), p5000011 wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:37:51 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>>> hmm, they seem to be using akamai proxies:
>>>
>>> lynx -head http://www.indiatimes.com
>>>
>>>      HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
>>>      Server: AkamaiGHost
>>>      Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:50:18 GMT
>>>
>>> Now enter in.indiatimes.com into netcraft:
>>>
>>>     Linux  	 Microsoft-IIS/6.0
>>>
>>> So the proxy is running linux but the web server is running IIS.
>>>
>>> Seems Roy was right. When can we expect your apology?
>>
>> No, Roy was not right.  This is a classic case of a web server trying to
>> diguise what it's running.  It's easy to identify:
>>
>> lynx -head http://in.indiatimes.com
>> 	HTTP/1.0 200 OK
>> 	Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
>> 	Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:03:33 GMT
>> 	Connection: close
>>
>> Notice the order of the headers:
>>
>> lynx -head http://www.funkenbusch.com
>>
>> 	HTTP/1.1 302 Found
>> 	Cache-Control: private
>> 	Connection: close
>> 	Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:07:04 GMT
>>
>> Now, notice how the order is different?  Clearly, whatever server
>> in.indiatimes.com is running is using a false server header, probably a
>> lame attempt to confuse hackers.
>
> You don't know what you are talking about. Your web server is not
> using a reverse proxy. I've set up apache reverse proxies many
> times. By default it shows the OS of the proxy but the server header
> is that of the www server.

Apart from the fact that a firewalled and reverse proxied web server would
be extremely difficult to compromise in the first place, your argument
ignores the rest of the evidence I presented below.

>> Further, there are no tell-tale signs of a Microsoft based server.
>> There are no ASP or similar session cookies.  Also, IIS doesn't use
>> the "Vary" header.  Additionally, all the links on the site end in a
>> .cms extension, which appears to be Enonic's CMS system which is an
>> apache tomcat based system running Java, which means it can't be
>> running IIS.  While it could be Apache on Windows... the fact that
>> it is issuing an IIS header means it's lying about it's web server,
>> and given that the OS is fingerprinted as Linux, i'd say it's almost
>> certainly Apache/Tomcat on Linux.
>
> They are using akamai for goodness sake. You know, the same proxy
> service Microsoft uses when they can't handle the traffic to their web
> servers. Why anyone would frig their server header to be IIS beats me
> Erik.

What part of "using a CMS systems that doesn't run on IIS" don't you
understand?

>> So no, I'm not wrong.  Do a little more research.
>
> Perhaps you should. You have not shown that the server is not
> IIS. Hence you still owe Roy an apology as your explanation is nothing
> more than waffle.

Yes, I have shown the server is not IIS, because it cannot be IIS.