Re: [News] Wal-Mart's Linux PCs Ensure They Stay Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 10 November 2007 22:37 : \____

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/operating-systems/nix/news/index.cfm?newsid=6001

> Whilst I'm 100% opposed to anyone performing any copyright violation, I
> cannot really see why the machine vendor should be Microsoft's police
> either.
>
> I wonder how many people who buy these machines are capable of
> installing a Microsoft operating system?  It's incredibly difficult to
> do so, this is not like installing ubuntu or fedora or similar.

This has been one of Microsoft's scummist of excuses, which was used to stifle
bills/situation that permit 'naked PCs'. As we've heard from Bill Gates
himself, 'piracy' is not an issue to him if you don't want to spend money on
Windows (he wants to have people 'addicted'). Watch Vista. Already cracked.
They didn't even try. IE7? Microsoft dropped validation in order to let
pirates in and fight Firefox (it happened a month ago). That speaks /VOLUMES/.

To say more on this topic, read this good article:

Intensified Battle Lines

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) spokesperson
| Steven D'Aprano had posed a most intriguing question, "If Microsoft
| has a problem with piracy, it shouldn't be blamed on OEMs who sell
| PCs with Linux pre-installed or no operating system at all. Should
| we discourage supermarkets from selling plain bread, because
| shoppers might steal butter from elsewhere?"
|
| [...]
|
| For long now a tag has been associated with Linux. Industry players
| and resellers say Linux has become a smart, official, cheap and
| convenient form of piracy. The charge, is however, outrightly
| rejected by the Linux vendors.
|
| At their end, open source vendors will not miss an opportunity to
| assert that anyone who has benefited out of piracy is the
| proprietary vendors, like Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Partners are already moving close to Linux vendors for various
| reasons. The days to come will, therefore, offer interesting
| battle lines unfolding between MS and open source players.
`----

http://www.channeltimes.com/India/Columns/Intensified_Battle_Lines/551-80562-751.html
http://tinyurl.com/37n6do

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards
 00:05:01 up 11 days,  4:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.96, 0.71, 0.82