Re: [News] Survey: Linux Chosen Over UNIX for Savings

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 29 November 2007 04:24 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:45:28 +0000
> <11094130.JJJAHIhx8O@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Cost drives firms from UNIX to Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Almost two thirds of Irish IT experts say the main motivation for
>> | migrating to the Linux operating system from UNIX for use in servers is
>> | cost, according to a recent survey from Novell?s Open Enterprise Summit in
>> | Dublin.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single9739
>>
>> More software for Linux...
>
> I'd suspect that Linux could run just about every
> Unix software thing out there that doesn't depend on
> ultra-esoteric system call behavior, but really, what does
> this prove apart from the fact that the Unix market is
> mutating beyond recognition and possibly imploding, leaving
> Linux to sweep in and pick up the pieces as a (nearly)
> free, widely available, highly capable replacement?
> After all, it wasn't that long ago that Unix was a costly
> add-on to workstation hardware such as the SPARC and the
> PA Risc boxes -- but one had to have it.
>
> So the real question is: does it cost less than Windows,
> both as a server and as a desktop?  The IDC report suggests
> no, but I suspect a bias.  :-)  Other reports suggest Linux
> is indeed cheaper.

As a pro-Microsoft analyst put this recently, they are in the business of
*selling* figures. It's all under Microsoft's control, but the studies are
done by proxy.

I think this one is from IDC (leaked)

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://antitrustslated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

This just shows you the level of mistrust (or fraud). This could be a daily
occurrence, but rarely does the court manage to pull such evidence. In
this 'study', Microsoft pays the check based on how happy it is with the FUD.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/10/last_month_gart.html

> Unix -> Windows: possible, one-way, results are probably
>    fairly cruddy because Windows POSIX support is at best
>    rudimentary, though third-party solutions for X are possible.
> Unix <-> Linux: relatively easy, two-way.
> Unix -> MacOSX: I'm not sure, but probably easy enough, as MacOSX has
>    Unix (Mach kernel) underpinnings.  Dunno how two-way it is,
>    as MacOSX also has a lot of extra things in weird places in
>    their filesystem.  I suspect careful design can forestall problems
>    here but one wonders.
> Windows -> Unix: very hard work, although efforts such as
>    WABI (16-bit) and WinE (32) might assist, or one can
>    design the app to POSIX specs, which will make it pretty
>    cruddy on Windows.
> Windows -> Linux: still pretty hard work.
> Windows -> MacOSX: Unknown, though the new Macs support
>    "Windows-in-a-box", deferring the issue.  I doubt
>    it's all that easy.

The same goes for GNU/Linux and even UNIX, I think. In general, proprietary
platform with platform-centric apps are the real issue here.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Tasks: 132 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie