Re: Microsoft and Novell Celebrate Year of Interoperability, Expand Collaboration Agreement

____/ 7 on Wednesday 28 November 2007 19:19 : \____

> Peter Kränkwonov wrote:
>
>> Robin T Cox <nomail@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

No, it is not. Linux was doing fine before Microsoft decided that it needs to
be 'taxed'. It essentially 'bribed' Novell to accept guilt. Novell needed the
money because it faced NASDAQ delisting at the time (Fargo Bank issues). That
was after Microsoft had betrayed Novell with very nasty, anticompetitive
tricks.

>>> Probably it's rather more good news for Microsoft, who are looking
>>> forward in future to clinging to the coat-tails of Linux as their
>>> prospects of cornering the world market in computing disappear down the
>>> tubes.
>>>
>>> Whether Linux will accept them, of course, is moot, as Microsoft seem to
>>> have very little to contribute to the future of computing.
>>>

>> I am confused. What do you mean? Linux has almost no desktop presence
>> and M$ has nearly it all. M$ and Windoze already cornered the
>> market. What are you meaning here? Or am I not understanding something
>> here in the figures you talk about?
>

> That statement falsely assumes you have some approved tool to measure
> Linux desktop usage.

See this one from yesterday:

Mozilla & Firefox Market Share

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://john.jubjubs.net/2007/11/27/mozilla-firefox-market-share/

> Linux is distributed not sold, and hence whatever means you
> are using to measure Linux desktop usage is flawed until someone
> brings out some measurement system that works and gets approved.
>
> Linux is expanding at the rate of one million new desktops per month
> and the rate is increasing.
>
> Wallmart sold out 10,000 of their Linux PCs in 10 days.
> Ebuyer has sold out of eSys machines.
> Tesco has sold out of their 134 pound machines only the
> 184 pound machine is still available.
> Amazon sold out their Linux ebook gadget in hours.
> Ausus eee - can't get them anywhere any time soon.
>
> http://www.livecdlist.com
> http://www.distrowatch.com

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
Tasks: 125 total,   1 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie