[News] [Rival] Careful with These Mac Hard Drives...

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Careful with These Mac Hard Drives...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 06:22:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple acknowledges some MacBook hard-drive problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is investigating whether or not faulty Seagate hard drives are to blame
| for data loss on some MacBooks.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9823370-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

How about that Ubuntu laptop hard-drive FUD, eh? Not to mention Vista...
(details below)

Related:

Vista burns laptop hard disks - Failure eight times higher than under XP

,----[ Quote ]
| The hard disk’s temperature can get ten degrees higher than the vendors’
| specifications allow. This could cause hard disk failures eight times more
| frequent than with XP.
`----

http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-burns-laptop-hard-disks-failure-eight-times-higher-than-under-xp/
http://tinyurl.com/3ytdtj

Windows Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness

,----[ Quote ]
| Any user that has used Windows XP and updating to Vista will notice one
| thing: In Vista, your hard drive thinks it's a bewitched lawnmower – it's
| always active. Even after all startup programs are loaded, the HD is still
| active: Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness.
`----

http://texhex.blogspot.com/2007/11/windows-vistas-constant-hd-activity.html

The Heartbreak of Drive Fragmentation

,----[ Quote ]
| If there was ever a case for automation of a system task, defragmentation is
| it. One of Vista's biggest selling points, in my mind, is that it comes with
| an automatic disk defragmentation utility--systems can run a scheduled defrag
| without user intervention. Yes, Vista users, it does do defrag
| automatically--but you have to turn it on.
|
| However, automated Windows Vista defragmentation might not be such a blessing
| for some users--the utility uses multipass defragmentation, and, according to
| a Gartner research note, "characteristically fragments the remaining free
| space on the disk, which accellerates fragmentation later."
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisewindows/archives/2007/11/the_heartbreak.html

Ext3 File System for performance in Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As an idea that was sparked by using a shared Ext3 File System between a
| dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows, what would happen if you went as far as
| installing Windows-native games on that shared Ext3 partition? Think of the
| benefits: no need to defragment that massive Hard Disk of yours every now
| and again. This guide will update as I experiment more.
|
| [...]
|
| I think this idea would work very well for any program/game with a
| large amount of files, due to Ext3's more streamlined architecture.
|
| As I say, I'm just experimenting with this, but it's working very
| well.
`----

http://mazza558.googlepages.com/home

Six free and simple steps to keep your [Windows] computer running smooth

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Improve Your Browsing Experience [Get Firefox]
| 2. Clean Up Your Room [Remove third-party applications 'bloat'/Registry]
| 3. Keep Your Room Clean
| 4. Call In The Exterminator [malware]
| 5. Visit The Doctor Early and Often [viruses]
| 6. (De)frag It
`----

http://www.davidallgroup.com/2007/04/16/six-free-and-simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-running-smooth/

Top 10 disk defragging pointers

,----[ Gist ]
| # Work it!
| # Use your noggin.
| # What are you waiting for?
| # Know your disk capacity and potential disk errors.
| # Server bottlenecks.
| # Leave me alone!
| # Application interference.
| # Respect the differences.
| # Don't rely on the built-in Windows defragger.
| # Stay in charge.
`----

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid5_gci888617,00.html

Raxco Software Releases PerfectDisk Defragmenter for Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Raxco Software, the worldwide leader in disk defragmentation
| software, announced today its award-winning PerfectDisk now
| supports Microsoft's new Windows Vista? operating system.
| PerfectDisk is the first third-party defragger to support Vista.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=192692

Defraggers attack Vista, each other

,----[ Quote ]
| Competition in the market is stiff, as with escalating storage demands
| being placed on hard disks, defragmentation is as vital as ever. Yet
| disk fragmentation is a problem often overlooked by enteprise IT
| departments, if not when it comes to servers then almost certainly
| when it comes to end users' workstations.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/blog/archives/2007/01/defraggers_atta.html

Windows XP OS is really quite a crock

,----[ Quote ]
| It's amazing that Microsoft built-in a disk defragger into Windows XP,
| but it didn't get around to building an operating system defragger.
|
| [...]
|
| Are there better ways to clean up and speed up a Windows XP? Sure,
| there are plenty of different techniques and options, but if
| Microsoft had some smarts, they'd build a lean-and-mean Vista
| (since XP is now "legacy") for laptops and desktops without all
| the assorted crap that they've built in over the years.

Why Does Windows Get Slower Over Time?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.playfuls.com/news_06892_Why_Does_Windows_Get_Slower_Over_Time.html