[News] Linux Australia Reorganises, Prime Minister Asked to Consider Linux

  • Subject: [News] Linux Australia Reorganises, Prime Minister Asked to Consider Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:58:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
linux.conf.au: Tying up all those loose ends

,----[ Quote ]
| Walsh was elected to the Linux Australia commiteee at the 2007 conference.
| And sometime later a chat with chief conference organiser Donna Benjamin was
| the starting point for his decision to agree to being Mr Networking for the
| Melbourne conference.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15517/1091/

An Open Letter to the New Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd

,----[ Quote ]
| I am talking about Linux, Firefox, OpenOffice and countless other
| cooperatively-developed software products. Not only are the Open Source
| products cheaper, they are more open and standards-compliant, which means
| they play nicer with software from other sources. Best of all, they run on
| less powerful hardware and require fewer hardware upgrades, reducing the
| amount of money that needs to be spent just to get the infrastructure up and
| running. Ongoing running costs are also likely to be cheaper. And that's just
| the hard (dollar) benefits.
`----

http://wisdomofganesh.blogspot.com/2007/11/open-letter-to-new-australian-prime.html

Related:

Pollies back Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| If politicians' attitudes towards Open Source software affects the way you'll
| vote in tomorrow's Federal election, you may be interested in the results of
| a survey of the major parties carried out by Open Source Industry Australia.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15480/1054/

SA eyes Apple, Red Hat to dodge vendor lock-in

| The South Australian government is looking at a software overhaul that could
| see Apple or Red Hat taking over from Microsoft on the state's PCs. Analysts
| warn, however, skills costs could still lead to a software environment
| dominated by a single platform.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/SA-eyes-Apple-Red-Hat-to-dodge-vendor-lock-in/0,139023769,339283166,00.htm?feed=rss

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal government has launched version two of the SourceIT
| model contracts and user notes aimed at simplifying procurement of
| information technology 12 months after the first version.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=805606582&rid=-50

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Don't mention the broadband speeds

,----[ Quote ]

`----