[News] Migrations to GNU/Linux Go Extremely Well, People Thankful

  • Subject: [News] Migrations to GNU/Linux Go Extremely Well, People Thankful
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:43:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

,----[ Quote ]
| I show up at work the next day to hear my boss tell me his wife LOVES me.
| They were so happy with their computer. It was working better than they ever
| remembered. And when I told my boss that they didn’t have to worry about
| installing any antivirus,
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=139

The Switch from Windows to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| In Conclusion
|
| So after three weeks, I'm glad that I switched my desktop PC to Ubuntu.
`----

http://jorgeonprogramming.blogspot.com/2007/11/switch-from-windows-to-ubuntu.html

Recent:

Installing VS 2008 on Vista makes me want to kill myself

,----[ Quote ]
| After numerous attempts at installing VS 2008 on Vista machines, I’m about
| ready to switch to vim. At least I can use apt-get for vim.
`----

http://tryingthisagain.com/2007/11/21/installing-vs-2008-on-vista-makes-me-want-to-kill-myself/

Vista, like in out in left field.

,----[ Quote ]
| What most managers don't understand though is that Vista is enough different
| from XP and certainly Win2K that using a desktop Linux distro is as much of a
| change for the users as going to Linux. There is as much user training
| necessary because of all the little key-click sequences that the typical user
| has memorized are now all junked. A whole new sequence of strokes has to be
| learned for turning out the documents.
|
| Open/Star Office is the biggest helper a Linux IT admin has, if he can train
| the typical office worker to use OO, then most of the work to train the user
| is done. Show them their "home" folder with their name on it and things will
| be a lot easier. Just don't tell them where it is physically and put it on
| the file server and then you've got your backup problems covered.
`----

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/talkback/0,1000001161,39290701-21000001c-20089223o,00.htm

Related:

Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, a number of companies have moved back to Windows XP after
| deploying Vista, Crawford said, before quoting Scott Granneman, an author,
| entrepreneur and adjunct professor at Washington University in St. Louis, as
| saying, "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your
| Windows box, you just have to work on it."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168426,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Ninety percent of 961 IT professionals surveyed said they have concerns about
| migrating to Vista and more than half said they have no plans to deploy
| Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of
| respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE
| Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited other Linux
| operating systems and 4% were unsure.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/infrastructure/applications/news/index.cfm?newsid=6258

The Vista Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
| shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
| really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
| estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
| in use.
|
| How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
| Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
| considered by the company itself.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

Poll: In a fight between Vista, OS X, Linux, XP...

,----[ Quote ]
| Among silicon.com readers at least, the most recent iteration of Windows -
| aka Vista - garnered just 14 per cent of the vote, making it less popular
| than both Mac OS X and Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Another reader - going by the name Richard A - said he was "shocked" at how
| slow the OS ran on a new Intel core duo Sony Vaio laptop. "Why anybody would
| willingly trade a stable and established XP environment for the wading though
| treacle experience of driverless Vista is quite utterly beyond me," he said,
| adding: "Granted, it has borrowed a few nice flourishes from the Apple Mac
| user interface but it really has little else to recommend it above XP. Apart
| from security, of course."
|
| Neil Thatcher, an IT manager from the South East, summed up many readers'
| views with his Reader Comment: "The changes to Vista over XP are simply gloss
| and change for change's sake which translate as nothing more than
| annoyances."
|
| Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39169139,00.htm

An Open Letter to Microsoft: Re-Release Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| It's time to sober up on Windows Vista. This just isn't working out,
| and your users are getting frustrated to the point where they're souring
| on Windows altogether. In case you haven't seen some of the more
| noteworthy blog posts on this topic, I refer you to Chris Pirillo,
| Scot's Newsletter, or Spend Matters. Or check out the recent bug
| reports regarding product activation and security flaws. This is all
| stuff I managed to dredge up that was written yesterday.
|
| People are unhappy with Vista. Really unhappy. And though I know Microsoft
| has its own form of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, it certainly
| can't keep you from seeing at least some of the sobering sales figures and
| the crush of disappointing reviews of Vista. I don't want to dredge up all
| the reasons people are unhappy with Vista in this letter. I want to talk
| about what you ought to do stop a mass migration to Linux and the Mac.
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/18428/an-open-letter-to-microsoft-re-release-windows-xp

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Former Windows Developer Trashes Windows Vista, Gets Slapped, Falls Back in
Line

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://soft-vn.net/windows/former-windows-developer-trashes-windows-vista-gets-slapped-falls-back-in-line/20079348-11536.aspx