[News] Virtualization Determines Winners, Oracle Challenges VMWare

  • Subject: [News] Virtualization Determines Winners, Oracle Challenges VMWare
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:45:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle Joins Virtual Fray

,----[ Quote ]
| I suspect more large vendors will begin looking to reach down the stack to
| fold OS and virtualization capabilities into their software. If VMware is to
| maintain its strong position as a platform vendor, the company will have to
| make it more attractive for these ISVs to run their stack consolidations
| through VMware than on their own. If VMware plays it well, we may see Oracle
| stock­holders worrying about VMware leading a charge to grab a piece of
| Oracle's action, instead of the reverse.

Microsoft will play dirty here. It has already messed about with the EULAs,
used anti-GPL poison (hypercalls), made things technically incompatible,
acquired a virtulisation company, hijacked Xen by proxy, it intends to
prebundle virtualisation, and it spreads FUD. How far will it go? It's only
the beginning.

Related:

Oracle adds virtualization as VMware shares fall

,----[ Quote ]
| Mware shares fell 8.4 percent after executives at Oracle, the world's
| second-largest software maker, demonstrated the product before thousands of
| customers at a conference in San Francisco. Oracle shares rose as much as 2.9
| percent.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/071112/oracle_virtualization.html?.v=4

RedHat Thinks Software Should Come In A Virtual Machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Wouldn’t it be nice if the enterprise software world were on board with your
| server virtualization efforts? Imagine downloading the latest version of
| PeopleSoft or Crystal Reports in a virtual server format that could be loaded
| on to VMware ESX and would just run – no installation, no configuration
| hassles, just instantiate and go.
`----

http://blogs.forrester.com/it_infrastructure/2007/11/redhat-thinks-s.html

Analysts call Oracle’s virtualization bluff

,----[ Quote ]
| As Dan Farber detailed, Oracle’s own version of the Xen hypervisor seemed to
| be targeted at Red Hat, but impacted a bunch of other companies such as
| VMware and Citrix, which recently bought Xensource. In the big picture, the
| hypervisor writing is on the wall: It’ll be a commodity.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=6982

Oracle Unveils Oracle(R) VM

,----[ Quote ]
| Faster, Cheaper and Scalable Server Virtualization; Fully Supported for
| Deploying Oracle and Linux
|
| Oracle today announced Oracle(R) VM, server virtualization software which
| supports both Oracle and non-Oracle applications.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQM14012112007-1.htm

Virtualization: A feature of the hardware, not the OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Even though Xen has been part of (Linux products) for a while, it's really
| just now getting ready for prime time," Haff said. "VMware is still very much
| the dominant player in virtualization."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6206867.html

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 lags behind competition

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft released its Virtual PC (VPC) 2007 virtualization software
| as freeware recently, and you definitely get what you pay for. VPC
| 2007 isn't Open Source, nor does it run on Linux. Linux isn't even
| mentioned as supported guest operating system, but since people
| have successfully run several Linux distributions through earlier
| versions of VPC, I decided to give it a go. After several hours
| of struggle, I found out why VPC 2007 doesn't claim to support
| Linux distros.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/10/0953255&from=rss

A Software Maker Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur