Re: [News] Partial iTunes Altenative/Competitor Comes to Linux Desktops

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 21 November 2007 08:21 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 20 November 2007 16:27 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Another DRM-based business model.  Can't see it.
>>
>> Miro (formerly Democracy Player) 1.0 was released days ago as an open
>> source, DRM-free Joost alternative. There's also SongBird on its way and
>> AmaroK is evolving to become an online store that is DRM-free as far as I
>> know.
>>

> These look much more like the future to me.  I think the days of the
> "record" industry ruling the roost are over.  Consider the Led Zep,
> supported by Foreigner Concert, at the O2.  1,000,000 requests for
> tickets using a more or less tout-proof system, with only 20,000
> seats available.
>
> Consider it - this means that one person in 60 tried to get a ticket
> for the concert, and there were probably a lot of folk like myself and
> Mrs Mark who would've gone had we thought that there was any possibility
> of getting a ticket.
>
> The current generation of Cabaret/POP acts are awful, talentless,
> unimaginative, passionless, unmusical, predictable handbag pop with
> soft-porn videos to fool the brain into thinking that the music was
> good.  It wasn't...
>
> Still, the same generation drink lager and "magners" because the
> marketing man tells them to, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised
> :-).  Not that I've anything against cider, I actually quite like it,
> but not with ice (yuk), and not at 4 quid a pint.

Marketers say that the more expensive it is, the better it becomes (and your
friends, girls included, will be overly impressed).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish
session
Swap:  1510068k total,   522872k used,   987196k free,    34340k cached