[News] Free (as in Freedom) Media Application Compares Favourably with DRM-ridden Proprietary Counterparts

  • Subject: [News] Free (as in Freedom) Media Application Compares Favourably with DRM-ridden Proprietary Counterparts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:18:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
TV on Your PC: Hulu, Joost and Miro Reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| No matter what service you pick, you won't find everything you want, thanks
| in part to corporate hang-ups and in part to the primitiveness of these early
| stages. They're maddeningly incomplete, like a crappy library in a rural
| town. Joost is probably your best bet in terms of quantity and quality, with
| Miro working better if you want a ton of new programming but don't care about
| corporate quality. And if you want Battlestar, well, the choice will be made
| for you.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/video-wars/tv-on-your-pc-hulu-joost-and-miro-reviewed-323787.php

...Doing for Linux what Firefox did in the Web browser area (Konqueror, Opera,
SongBird, AmaroK and many others aside).

Related:

Miro 1.0 is Here

,----[ Quote ]
| I am incredibly excited to announce the launch of Miro 1.0.
|
| With this launch, we are ready to build a movement for truly open video.
| We’re on a mission, we have a world-class product, we have an amazing
| community, and more and more open channels are being published every day.
| It’s the right time.
`----

http://www.getmiro.com/blog/2007/11/miro-10-is-here/

Mozilla gives $100K grant to Democracy makers

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has announced that a $100K has been approved for the
| Participatory Culture Foundation, a Massachusetts-based
| non-profit that aims to make "watching internet video channels [..] as easy
| as watching TV and broadcasting a channel...
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/05/mozilla-gives-100k-grant-to-democracy-makers/

Watch online video? Get Miro

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Miro makes it so much easier to find and to get video content that
| you won't want to switch to another app just to watch it.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118379

Miro (Democracy Player) for Linux Reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of the day, Miro has been one of my favorite methods of
| downloading, maintaining and enjoying user created content. It's been a
| source of joy and discovery for me personally, and I only wish to see them
| gain a better focus on their future direction. Remember, non-profits can
| indeed, generate a profit. It's just a matter of reinvesting those funds into
| the project to better see through the mission of the group as a whole.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8026

Democracy Player 0.9.6 Released - Last version ever! (before name change)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.getdemocracy.com/news/2007/06/democracy-player-096-released-last-version-ever-before-name-change/
http://tinyurl.com/2x6ae2