Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Miniature GNU/Linux Laptops to Capture 20% Market Share?
  • From: alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 08:23:32 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:03:56 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Asustek Aims 20% of the PC Market in 2010 with Eee PC. Traditional PCs
> Are Too Powerful, Eee PC – Going Back to Basics, Says Asustek
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | “I think the chance of surpassing 20% in 2010 is very high because
> there will | be further [Asus Eee] products in the future,” said Jonney
> Shih, chief | executive of Asustek, in an interview with DigiTimes
> web-site. `----
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/
display/20071120163919_Asustek_Aims_20_of_the_PC_Market_in_2010_with_Eee_PC.html

It was bound to happen. The computer has become a commodity item and the
laptop is following. With computer power exceeding the needs of the
average user (My 3 GHz P4 usually stays scaled down to 1.5GHz). And linux
is a great OS to use on these platforms as they can keep the costs down
while delivering a functional and secure system.

There's another reason to use these lower powered system: they're greener.
The Asus Eee PC uses something on the order of 12W under normal load.