[News] GNOME Online Desktop Now on Fedora 8, Fedora's Global 'Infection' Shown in Video

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Online Desktop Now on Fedora 8, Fedora's Global 'Infection' Shown in Video
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:46:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GNOME Online Desktop: Touching the Face of GOD

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently in alpha release, GOD is best tested in a distribution that uses
| GNOME 2.20, such as Fedora 8. In Fedora 8, it requires three packages:
| online-desktop, mugshot, and bigboard (the exact names may vary with your
| distribution). If these packages are unavailable in your distro, you can use
| the instructions at live.gnome.org to compile the programs for yourself.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3712406

Fedora 8 Global Adoption: Nov 4 - Nov 14, 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Watch as Fedora 8 spreads across the globe in the first week of release. Each
| blue dot is a new Fedora 8 client ip address which is looking for update
| software for the first time.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFw54qk49hU

Linux outbreak.

Related:

Red Hat Offers Global Desktop for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Red Hat launching a new Linux-based desktop operating system,
| called Global Desktop for Linux, one analyst is saying the software
| could be "huge" for Linux, particularly in developing countries that
| haven't gone the Microsoft Windows route. Red Hat's Global Desktop
| for Linux is a commercial spinoff of the One Laptop Per Child project.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Red-Hat-Offers-Global-Desktop-for-Linux/story.xhtml?story_id=0110001A6OI0

Tour of GNOME Online Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a tour of the pre-alpha demo release of GNOME Online Desktop included
| in Fedora 8.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/13/tour-of-gnome-online-desktop/

GNOME Online Desktop: "We will have to include Windows"

,----[ Quote ]
| But to me when I use a desktop today I feel like there are major negatives to
| it - there are all kinds of maintenance and backups to worry about. Just
| cleaning up the desktop background, cause it's cluttered full of junk to not
| having calendar notifications, having recent documents be the wrong documents
| and not the online documents that I'm actually using.
`----

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2977408

Open Source Developers calling for the next desktop revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Future GNOME releases might have seamless integration with online services
| and store their configuration on the web - Novell and parts of the community
| seem to agree with Red Hats proposal
`----

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2964567

Desktop On Demand - New WebOS Launches

,----[ Quote ]
| The product is being built by a company called Defuturo, which says
| that the core of DOD is the Linux Gnome desktop environment "and the
| growing myriad of applications constantly being developed for it." So
| it is using an open source platform and building a virtual desktop
| service on top of that. DOD aims to extend rather than replace a
| local computer, but I think they need to work on their messaging
| on how exactly they'll do this.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/desktop_on_demand.php

Fedora 8 Everything Spin Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fedora Unity Project is proud to announce the release of a new Everything
| Spin based on Fedora 8.
|
| The Fedora Unity Project is proud to announce the release of new spin, the
| Everything Spin. Included in this spin are all the packages available at the
| time Fedora 8 was released.
`----

http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-8-everything-spin-released

Fedora 8 Test Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m very happy with this Fedora release and the new Gnome is very promising
| and it’s extremely easy to use without separating the user from going deep
| into the system if he likes to. It has multiple “spins” (flavors) and you can
| create your own custom spin with a nice tool. for me it’s very stable till
| now and it has solved my DVD burner I/O problems completely and it saved
| power “GREATLY”. it stays running on my 12-Cell battery for 5:30 hours!
| Thanks for “powertop” from Intel for its utility and great thanks for the
| tickless kernel.
`----

http://www.ahmedsoliman.com/2007/11/15/fedora-8-test-drive/

Fedora 8 - a video tour

,----[ Quote ]
| These three short videos -- all less than 8 minutes long -- give you an idea
| of Fedora 8's "look and feel" during the installation and setup process, and
| show you what software is installed by default. The third video shows you how
| to install and -- just as important -- uninstall software in Fedora 8.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121387

Fedora/Linux for Noobs

,----[ Quote ]
| The desktop in Fedora 7 (Gnome) is very pleasing to look at. With clean lines
| and soft colors it has a Mac-like appeal with the taskbars of Windows. You
| can easily add items to the taskbars (panels), move them around, make them
| transparent, and even remove them if wanted. Icons are clear and resizable so
| you’re not stuck with dinky XP icons. I have modified my desktop somewhat for
| productivity. One of the beauties of Linux is the degree of customization
| available to make your workspace the way you want it.
`----

http://blog.coffeedaze.com/?p=66

Review of Fedora 8 (by Simon G. Hildenbrand)

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I truly believe that Fedora 8 is by far the best Fedora release to
| date (and I've tried every one of them). From the look and feel of the
| system, to the out-of-the-box configuration during installation, I couldn't
| be happier with a cutting edge release.
|
| As I mentioned before, the biggest aspects of a successful distribution for
| me are suspend/hibernate, correct screen resolution and the the ability to
| change the screen resolution in a GUI if it didn't configure it correctly the
| first time, system stability, and overall look and feel of a distribution.
| For me, Fedora 8 has excelled in all categories when I evaluate and review a
| system and I hope that Fedora continues to release versions that are put
| together as good as Fedora 8 has been.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071112#review

Community Welcomes Fedora 8 With Strong Download Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora 8 offers both GNOME and KDE-based Live CDs and a general-purpose
| installable DVD for workstations and servers. It also includes improved Live
| USB support, making it possible to install, boot and run the entire
| distribution off of a USB key without touching the computer's hard disk at
| all. This enhancement makes Fedora attractive to those who wish to experiment
| with Linux without risking their data.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071112/20071112005990.html?.v=1

Red Hat's Fedora 8 hope: An all-purpose Linux foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| The ability to "re-spin" Fedora is attracting some interest. Among the
| Fedora-based variations that will be available are one for gaming, one for
| designing microprocessors, and one for programmers.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9813113-39.html

An old hat with new tricks: Fedora 8 officially released

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been experimenting with Fedora 8 test 3, and I like what I see. This is
| a nice release with a pretty sweet assortment of features that you won't find
| anywhere else. Fedora still manages to differentiate itself and rise above
| many other contenders by delivering early access to new technologies.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071108-an-old-hat-with-new-tricks-fedora-8-officially-released.html

A peek at Red Hat's Fedora 8 Linux [Screenshots tour]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/2300-1016_3-6217482-1.html