[News] Via Makes Money from GNU/Linux

Via reaps benefits of Wal-Mart tie-up

,----[ Quote ]
| The PCs are made by Everex, and sold cut-price using Via's C7 processor and
| UniChrome integrated graphics, and come with Linux pre-installed, as well as
| OpenOffice, Google Apps, FireFox and Skype.
|
| Via has said in a statement that it thinks the C7 processor will shortly
| become its main product line, as its continues to fall behind in the chipset
| market, having failed to agree a license with Intel to create new chipsets.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/20/via-reaps-benefits-wal-mart-tie

Via ought to give advice to their friends who complain that Vista means no
profit.

Yesterday:

VIA and FIC to keep up with price of EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| The CE260 called NanoBook, which was developed by VIA in co-operation with
| VIA fellow affiliate FIC, is planned to be marketed in the U.S. by FIC
| subsidiary Everex from 2008. According to Taiwanese online service DigiTimes,
| FIC estimates that 50.000 to 60.000 CE260s will be sold via OEMs in the first
| quarter of 2008. DigiTimes states a price of less than 450 US dollars for the
| Windows XP version; a Linux version could be even cheaper.
`----                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/99208/from/rss09

Related:

VIA's Linux support - will it finally happen?

,----[ Quote ]
| This afternoon while I was surfing the web instead of paying attention to the
| lecture I was sitting in I came across a new posting on the MTube device over
| at ultramobilelife.com. While the short video included there isn't really all
| that interesting after you've seen the photos from the gallery a comment made
| by VIA's Bjorn Stromberg did manage to grab my attention. Asked about which
| operating system the MTube runs own he replied:
|
| "Yeah, it runs linux, they've got a simplified interface set up for specific
| applications. I'll be posting more details about the software part of the
| MTube when I have some more time."
`----

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1158

Via unveils "ultra mobile device" reference design

,----[ Quote ]
| Via Technologies on June 6 unveiled the NanoBook Ultra Mobile Device
| (UMD) reference design -- a UMPC-like device, but with a full
| QWERTY keyboard.

2D/3D graphics chipset targets mobile devices

,----[ Quote ]