[News] Open-source IP Explained and Copyrights Gone Insane

  • Subject: [News] Open-source IP Explained and Copyrights Gone Insane
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 02:55:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open-source IP: Lessons from Marc Fleury

,----[ Quote ]
| The critical components are related to brand, as Marc suggests. It is brand
| that drives business, including in an IP-worshiping proprietary world. No one
| buys from Oracle because of its patents. They buy because the brand suggests
| something to the would-be buyer.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820871-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The First Thanksgiving

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we have record companies suing moms, we have artists suing record
| companies, we have writers striking on the media. What has caused all of this
| turmoil? Well the rise of the Internet of course!
`----

http://www.osdcm.com/home/the-first-thanksgiving/

Red Hot Chili Peppers sue Showtime over "Californication"

,----[ Quote ]
| I really like the song "Californication," but it's not an enforceable
| trademark for the Red Hot Chili Peppers...
|
| [...]
|
| I remember hearing people use the word "Californication" often in
| conversations when I used to travel up there in 1997 - 1998 on business.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9820873-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The industry has gone mad.

Related:

Fair use boosts US economy more than copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| The CCIA referred to recent estimates of the industry wide value added net
| revenue of fair use versus copyright based industries. Copyright based value
| amounts to $1.3 trillion, whereas fair use value amounts to $2.2 trillion,
| according to the CCIA report. Thus the fair use contribution to the US
| economy is 70 per cent greater than that of copyright.

Creative Commons Artist Spotlight: Convey

,----[ Quote ]
| Every week, we will introduce our readers to emerging musical artists who
| choose to release their work under Creative Commons licenses.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/09/12/creative-commons-artist-spotlight-convey/

Nine Inch Nails' Open Source Remix Album Available as Free Torrent

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/09/nine-inch-nails.html