[News] Linux-based OpenMoko Gains Attraction After iPhone Backlash

  • Subject: [News] Linux-based OpenMoko Gains Attraction After iPhone Backlash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 09:00:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Open-Source iPhone Alternative, OpenMoko for Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| This phone is free (as-in-speech), will not even be offered carrier-locked or
| branded, and can be used in any way the purchaser sees fit. Not only will
| third party apps be allowed to run natively, development is encouraged.
| Application developer? Write and share your own applications. Not a
| developer? Run other people’s add-ons. Will there be an update released to
| maliciously brick your phone if you’re not running on carrier X (see Apple
| Update Disables Unlocked iPhones)? Never.
`----

http://troubledramblings.com/2007/10/06/the-open-source-iphone-alternative-openmoko-for-consumers/

California man seeks class action lawsuit over iPhone bricking, lock-in

,----[ Quote ]
| A California resident on Friday filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple
| over its controversial policies regarding the service of modified iPhones.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071007-california-man-seeks-class-action-lawsuit-over-iphone-bricking-lock-in.html
http://tinyurl.com/2a8lss

Why I Won't Buy an iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has abandoned its founding ethos of creativity and innovation by
| hanging up on third-party software developers
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007105_056012.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

No wonder they block developers. It's insecure by design because Apple
foolishly allowed all programs to run as 'root'.

Why the iPod can be conquered

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/08/technology/ipod_siklos.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Related:

iPhone Security Hellhole?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the iPhone root password was broken. OK, it happens. But now it seems
| that all applications run on the iPhone as root. Can you say biggest security
| blunder of the 21st century to date?

Welcome to the world of iPhone development limits

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even the limitations of developing Web 2.0 applications
| on Safari are constrained. The version of Safari that sits on iPhone doesn't
| support Java or Flash, two of the most important platforms for current web
| development.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13387&Itemid=1023

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1408

Apple iPhone issue highlights security debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Most early iPhone adopters have bought into the Apple mythology which
| convinces them that anything blessed by Steve Jobs is automatically
| desirable, so we won't see a mass return of the shiny devices with their
| slick interface.

First iPhone 3rd Party GUI App Compiles

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, it is the standard "Hello, world." application, but it's native to
| the iPhone and uses the iPhone's GUI.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/29/1252223&from=rss

IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
| tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
| control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
| to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
| allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/technology/23iphone.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1185163364-1OTsRJvbylLamj17FY2wnw&oref=slogin

iPhone Freed From AT&T, Twice

,----[ Quote ]
| The company will be selling licenses to the hack, minimum quantity 500, at a
| price not yet announced. These hacks are much bigger news for those outside
| America. Expect to see an industry spring up to meet European (and Asian?)
| demand for freed iPhones.
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/24/1858252&from=rss

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who want
| things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those sort of
| people.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-open-sauce

Apple promises to kill unlocked Iphones

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/apple-promises-to-kill-unlocked-iphones

iPod Classic Will Be Supported

,----[ Quote ]
| As recently reported on Slashdot, Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has added a
| checksum to the iPod database apparently to restrict non-iTunes products
| (like Amarok via libgpod) from having the ability to add music.
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/