[News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 04:47:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Minnesota woman to appeal $220,000 RIAA award

,----[ Quote ]
| Jammie Thomas, the Minnesota woman who last week was ordered to pay the
| recording industry $222,000 for copyright violations related to sharing
| songs, has decided to appeal the verdict.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792759-7.html

As someone said, here you have a convicted monopoly walking around and
destroying the global industry while one woman get this kind of treatment for
possession of music.

An open letter to the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| I think it's time you change your tactics. Did you know that amid your
| lawsuits, peer-to-peer downloading and torrent downloads have doubled since
| the lawsuits began? Did you know that although the law clearly states we
| shouldn't be pirating music, there's little teeth behind a law if millions do
| it? Much like the days of prohibition, you're fighting a battle you can't
| win. It's time you give it up.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792724-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

An Oregon Woman's Lawsuit against the RIAA, Alleging Racketeering and Malicious
Prosecution

,----[ Quote ]
| however, that the RIAA is, at a minimum, very foolish to press suits
| for purported file-sharing against unlikely defendants like Andersen -
| who alleges that she came forward with solid proof of her innocence.
`----

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20070628.html

Record Industry Woes Aggravated by Years of Bad PR

,----[ Quote ]
| They say no publicity is bad publicity, but that's not true. Ask Atlanta
| Falcon quarterback Michael Vick whose alleged involvement in a dog fighting
| ring just got him banned from training camp by the NFL, a move that alone may
| end his career even if the courts never convict him.
|
| [...]
|
| The lingering after effects of several player strikes showed the major sports
| franchises what can happen when the fan becomes dissatisfied. Today many
| music fans are unhappy. Can anyone honestly say that poor goodwill has had no
| affect on CD sales? Can anyone say that the examples above have had no affect
| on this goodwill?
`----

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7002/record-industry-pr.html

Class Action Initiated Against RIAA