Re: Windows Needs to Give Users the 4 Freedoms to Success in the Future

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 08 October 2007 21:53 : \____

> On Oct 8, 3:33 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If I Were in Charge of...
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | If I were in charge of Microsoft, I would open source a mid-tier product.
>> | Just one to start with, but I would use a real open license, like GPL or
>> | BSD or APL, etc. I would build a community infrastruture around it and let
>> | my employees watch and finally realize that open source, when properly
>> | done, is a good thing.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-10-05-024-26-OP-BZ
>
> The trouble with that idea is that if they open sourced Windows all
> the spammers in the world would have a field day exploiting bugs that
> MS could never keep up with.    They're doing it now anyway.  It would
> be more effort to fix all the bugs than it was to write Windows in the
> first place.

Linux was viewable to all from the very start. If Microsoft did it
all /properly/ and opened-sourced the code (for performance, bug-fixing, etc),
it would have years of catch-up work ahead, merely to secure the code. Why do
you think ATI does not merely expose its driver's code overnight?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Switch to GNU/Linux. < http://www.getgnulinux.org/ >